Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Carpet installation price

We live in the Detroit Metro Area and are in the final stages of the basement remodel. I have been looking and researching carpet for weeks now, I finally found a great nylon carpet with a 25 year warrenty at a really good price...the problem is they won't install because we have 9 inch tile in our basement, they will if we remove it. From my research the tile may contain asbestos and is only harmfull if you disturb it, like removing it. This is a big box store (I don't want to hear why I shouldn't buy from them, I've already been thru that ) they are the only ones that won't install because they were sued. I've been to local carpet stores and they have no problem with the tile but to get the carpet I want cost a lot more. I found an installer that will put the carpet in if I buy it from the big box store but I'm not sure if it is a good price. It's 65 square yards, no stairs or closets, just the basement floor. I got a quote of $400 and have no idea if that's a good, bad, fair price. Does anyone know?

Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Skip the big box stores and find a smaller store or carpet installer---

This is not the first time a member has had one of the big stores refuse to install carpet over old VA tile----must be their nation wide policy----

My carpet guy has better prices and does a fine job installing---make a few calls--find an independent dealer or installer you will be glad you did---and it keeps your money in the hands of someone that lives near by.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

I have tried every independent dealer in a 50 mile radius, they can't come close to this price, in fact they want more than double the price and tell me I should get it because it's an awesome price. I said in my post I didn't want to hear why I shouldn't buy from a big box store.....I've researched why I shouldn't and not one of the reasons were true. It is true most of the big box store employees don't know much about carpet, but if you do the research yourself and know what you want you don't need their help. I had an independent carpet dealer put our living room carpet in...didn't turn out so good. I had to call the BBB and our local TV station to get it resolved. This same company put my family room carpet in a few years before that and they did a great job. Problem was there was a new owner that kept the same name, he was a scam artist and went out of business a few months after I had a problem with them.

So if anyone knows if $400 is a good price for installation please let me know.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

$400 is just for the install? If so that's $6 a yard to strip, pad, and install. That's a reasonable price.
smyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #5

I will be providing to pad too and that's $300. So is $400 still a good price?
Old 03-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench
I will be providing to pad too and that's $300. So is $400 still a good price?
U r providing the pad but u r not installing it right? $400 to install strip, pad and Carpet is a decent price. But u r paying over $4.60 a yard for pad and that's ridiculous!
smyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM   #7

How much would be a good price to have it installed if I'm providing the pad and carpet. The installer would have to provide the tack strips, power stretcher or what ever tools they use to install over a 550 sq foot area.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:48 PM   #8

I'm getting 65 square yards of 100% CBF nylon carpet with a 25 year warranty on retention, wear etc. with a lifetime on stain along with pad for $1,300 that also includes the installation.....if they could/would install it
Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

I haven't sold carpeting since the late '80's and even then carpeting was a very small % of sales, but......

The guy has to come over and take a look and tell you how much or order. When you get the carpeting delivered he'll schedule and pick up some odds & end as necessary. He'll be at your house for at least half a day with a helper. Add travel time etc.

So, $400? Sure sounds very cheap to me. He'll have to hustle/be lucky to do another small job in the same day. Of course 95% chance that he'll ask for cash or go cash your check and not contribute to our tax role.

I generally also don't recommend the big boxes, cuz although the people are very nice, they often don't know what they're talking about, (as you said). The stores will not hire anyone who is really knowledgable. But that's the way it is.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.

Last edited by JazMan; 03-16-2014 at 02:01 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:26 PM   #10

I have all the measurements to scale on paper I got them from HD when they measured), so this guy will not have to measure. He will have to pick up the carpet that is not far from me. And I know he will have a hard time getting it in the basement because there is a 90 degree turn at the bottom of the steps. He will have to put all the tack strips down because there wasn't carpet before. I trust him with any money etc. it's a very good friend of my daughters boyfriend and they've been friend since high school. This guys parents own a carpet place and they even tell me to get it at that price. Even paying him $400 brings the price to $1,700 and that is a lot less than the $2,500 I got from all the local carpet dealers for similar carpet. I just wanted to make sure the $400 was a decent price.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #11
Tileguy

So why are you doubting his work/price? Hopefully the guy giving you this great deal isn't reading this thread.

I will be needing some carpet for our basement later this spring and was looking at HD last night. They had a very nice carpet for $1.89 a ft. + pad. Labor was free if job is over $1,500, $47 if over $1,350 and $97 if less.

The labor part is a roll of the dice with these big box stores. It can be just as good as any other, or a complete nightmare. There's lot of mistakes made at these places. Eventually it'll work out, but it might take some time. They wanna hire a single crew to do all the floors. Not a good plan at all.

Quote:
He will have to pick up the carpet that is not far from me.
Sounds like a simple thing. But I had to do that a few times, never again. One time it took over 2 hours for them to find the paid order. If I don't sell it I don't pick it up. Not fair to ask them to do that. Otherwise you gotta add time and miles etc.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:29 PM   #12

I'm not doubting his work at all, I just wanted to make sure that was a good price because I don't have a clue how much it cost to install. We just had a lot of cement work done and I'm tired of people telling me we paid too much.

The carpet you are talking about sound like the stuff I want. They did have a lady that knew a lot about carpet (I know, it's rare) it was 100% CBF nylon with a great warranty.. I asked her what was wrong with it and she said nothing it's a good carpet. HD makes a deal with the mills they will buy X amount of carpet for a certain price and then pass the savings onto the customers. She said the only downside was they limit the colors, all they had were tan colors but that worked out great for us because that's the color we wanted. I will try to post the pics I took, I'm sure it's the same.
Old 03-16-2014, 04:00 PM   #13

Here is one picture of the carpet, the others are in my album....I think I'm still not sure about posting pic on here.
Attached Thumbnails
Carpet installation price-image.jpg  
Old 03-16-2014, 04:03 PM   #14

Is that the same carpet Jazman? Lol I just looked at your location and you are not far from me
Old 03-16-2014, 04:13 PM   #15
Tileguy

No, it was a heavy pile and about an inch long. The type you'd use in a living room. I think it came in two grades. One was $1.89 the thicker one was $2.39. I did see a heavier version of the one in your photo, it was about $3.39 though.

Haven't decided on what to do yet. Might do someone entirely different. But, carpeting is a nice warm cheapish way to go.

Oh, that 25 year warranty. Foget abou it! That'l never happen for you or anyone. That's liberal marketing.

Hi neighbor.

Jaz

Last edited by JazMan; 03-16-2014 at 04:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
concretemasonry (03-17-2014)