Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-09-2010, 06:43 AM   #1

Share |

Carpet Install & Phone Cord

Hello all,

I'm hoping to get some advice here. A few years ago, I paid the phone company contractor to install a new phone jack in my upstairs home office. He wired the new jack from the existing jack in my master bedroom down the hall, running the phone wire/ cord beneath the carpet edge along the hallway in between the two rooms.

Next week, Iím having new carpet installed, so now Iím tearing out the old carpet and underpad. During this process, Iím seeing the phone cord, running down the hall, sitting loosely alongside the tack strip. Iím wondering if I should do something with this cord --- should I carefully staple or tape it to the sub-floor? If so, should the cord run right next to the tack strip, or under the baseboard (away from the tack strip)? I want to make sure it doesnít interfere with the carpet installation.

I'd really appreciate any advice from those who've got experience with this kind of thing. Thanks!

Latheress

latheress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #2
the Musigician

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I'd tape it down along the edge of the tack strip to keep it safer while installing new carpet.

DM

Old 01-09-2010, 12:18 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

I've installed many a yard with a phone cord in the gully. I would just point it out to the installer.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

The carpet installer is likely to run a razor blade edge trimmer along the wall cutting the carpet to fit. He will then likely push the carpet into the gully between the tack strip and the wall. Sometimes steel tools and force are used to do this. If there is any way to keep that phone cord totally away from the tack strip that's what I would do.

Tucking it under the baseboard may not protect it. The cord would be in a better place if it were on the inside of the tack strip away from the wall. Or, maybe remove the cord until after the carpet installation is complete then re-install the cord as it was done the first time.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote