Carpet Idea...Will It Work? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2008, 01:56 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Carpet Idea...Will It Work?

Hello everyone,
There is a small carpeting and flooring store in town that gives all it's old/discontinued carpet/flooring samples away for free.
I had a somewhat shakey idea of how to put the discontinued carpet tiles to good use, I figured it would bring them new life and help the environment by using them in a semi-long term way.
My idea is this...do you think it would work to just lay out a bunch of these things and attempt to carpet an entire (granted VERY small) room with them?
To give you more info they are all the same size 27x17
They are sealed on the edges with something that has a similar look and purpose as quilt edging (quilt binding?) so it keeps each one from unraveling.
I figured I could hot glue any edges that need to be cut to keep them from unraveling and also try to seal any cut edges under baseboard trim to further help ensure their durability.

My family and I have discussed many possible ideas for making this semi-perm, we thought of adhesives, industrial double sided sticky tape, (incredibly strong, we fear not getting them back up if we use that though)
Screws, etc.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Our reason for wanting to attempt this is because we love the idea of the slightly different carpet tiles all over the floor, also it's incredibly cheap and good for the environment, so if at all possible, this is what we'd like to do.

If you have any suggestions on how to install this, any things to watch out for or consider, any other tips or thoughts, please feel free.
Thanks so much,
Topaz.

Advertisement

Topazprincess77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Carpet Idea...Will It Work?

you are jimmie rigging carpet in this case and all bets are off.
but since it is free then why not check it out.
using pad however will not be an option.

I had a friend years ago take samples and cut the binding, then seam all the samples together for a quilt carpet floor.

looked like crap I thought.

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote