Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2007, 03:23 PM   #1

Share |

Carpet in Basement

I have a dry basement, sealed concrete, etc...what would be a recommended thickness of padding underneath? I am contemplating either doing a burber (sp?) carpet or engineered hardwoods..any thought or suggestions?
diyer4162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #2

Carpet in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyer4162 View Post
I have a dry basement, sealed concrete, etc...what would be a recommended thickness of padding underneath? I am contemplating either doing a burber (sp?) carpet or engineered hardwoods..any thought or suggestions?

Two totally different animals. If your going with a berber carpet I would recommend berber mate rubber pad or a 40 oz synthetic pad.

If you want to do wood there are many factors you want to check out.
Check the product specs on your wood for the companys specs on moisture and grade tolerances.

You will need a moisture barrier under the wood as well as a pad.
My advice is not to be afraid to upgrade the underlayment(pad) from the cheap stuff you see in the aisles of the box stores. Sounds better and provides more protection.
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 12:01 PM   #3

Carpet in Basement

diyer----

I just had carpet installed in my basement as part of my basement finishing project. My house is only 2 years old and the basement is dry as a bone.

I had them install a moisture resistent rubberized pa just in case. Not sure what all the specs are on the stuff but it is about 1/2" thick. I had frieze carpet installed with about a 3/4" pile. Looks great and functions great. The rubber pad is guaranteed for life.

Like Mike said, wood and carpet are totally different. I wouldn't put any real wood products down there. Only a lam. or vinyl product.
DIY4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 06:14 PM   #4

Carpet in Basement

Definitely don't do hardwood. Your basement may be dry, but you always have to plan for the worst with basements. Water would wreck hardwood, but carpet is often fine so long as it isn't stained bad.

Last edited by wormser; 10-04-2008 at 02:13 PM.
wormser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 08:26 AM   #5

Carpet in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormser View Post
Definatly don't do hardwood. Your basement may be dry, but you always have to plan for the worst with basements. Water wood wreck hardwood, but carpet is often fine so long as it isn't stained bad.
Not really good advise Bud.

One word...Mold.If carpet gets wet, at the very least it needs to be removed, the padding removed and disposed and then properly dried.

More often than not the carpet is toast due to delamination or staining.

Up here in the northeast where we seem to be getting spring monsoons,flooding basements that dont normally get wet, we started recommending fiberfloor. Its a loose lay sheet goods that can be picked up, hosed off and re-layed.
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 09:00 AM   #6

Carpet in Basement

I have capert in my basement, but if I had it to do over again, I would look into a prosuct that looks like hardwood floors, but is similar to linoleum. I saw it in an convienece store and was impressed with the look and durability. Two friends are now doing basement remodels, and they are both having it installed. Hindsight is 20/20.....
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #7
Tile and Paint contractor

Carpet in Basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike costello View Post
Not really good advise Bud.

One word...Mold.If carpet gets wet, at the very least it needs to be removed, the padding removed and disposed and then properly dried.

Mike hit the nail on the head.
You basement is not waterproof.
For the chance of the "just in case it gets wet", I strongly recommend tile in the basement.
Tile can be submerged in water without any penalties.
And when compared to carpet:
  • You're never going to have to vacuum it.
  • With grout properly sealed (and stone tile properly sealed) you'll never worry about staining it. Or dirt and mildew.
  • You can find ceramic tile and some porcelain tile cheaper than carpet.
It just makes more sense for a basement to be tiled.
I would consider it.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 AM   #8

Carpet in Basement

Don't Rule Out Tile Either. The inlaws refinished their basment and laid tile. You then can lay an area rug down if you'd like and can lift it up if excessive rain is in the forecast. Also, can be properly cleaned if it does get wet. Even if you don't get water still take precautions
gregt848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 08:50 AM   #9
Landscape contractor

Carpet in Basement

words of wisdom; I just spent a total with basement waterproofing, remodeling,driveway drainage and tiling outside about 10k to have the perfect, dry, carpeted basement! Only to have a sock fall into our laundry-room sink plugging it up and having the washing machine drainage water flooding my beautiful new carpert that I had professionally installed because I wasn't sure I wanted to tackle it, only to have to rip it up myself, dry the floors, pads and carpet and then to re-install myself and then finally to keep having to pay on a small loan that I took out to get the carpet installed in the first place! Is tile sounding better yet! Get a few rugs ! Can I get some love here!
timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 02:12 PM   #10
Tile and Paint contractor

Carpet in Basement

Exactly, go with tile.