Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Carpentry: PT Plywood subfloor - Putting flooring on it?

We are getting a sunroom built on our house and the installers have just put down a pressure treated wood floor. We have just found out that we can't glue down vinyl flooring over this pressure treated wood. What can we do now, or put over, this p.t. wood so we can lay down vinyl flooring on top of it?
I'd sure appreciate an answer. Thanks, Jeffries

Jeffries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 06:00 AM   #2

Not sure I understand. Framing for any outside structure if often done with PT wood, but the subfloor(plywood, OSB) is not necessarily PT, and will accept most any floor covering. Even if it is PT plywood, an underlayment plywood can be installed to go with the vinyl.

This is a 'DIY' website, not a 'what did my contractor do' website.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
Not sure I understand. Framing for any outside structure if often done with PT wood, but the subfloor(plywood, OSB) is not necessarily PT, and will accept most any floor covering. Even if it is PT plywood, an underlayment plywood can be installed to go with the vinyl.

This is a 'DIY' website, not a 'what did my contractor do' website.
Just Bill
Thank you for your reply and I do know this is a DIY website. We are installing the flooring ourselves and were wondering if it would adhere to the PT wood.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
the Musigician

Yup, just put a thin plywood subfloor down and vinyl away!

DM
Old 06-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
Tileguy

Not so fast.

PT plywood should not be used indoors, I wonder why they did that? I'm not sure if there's any health hazard with the new chemical used in PT, but I do know the moisture content is off the chart. It may be OK to install an underlayment and then vinyl after the PT dries? I wouldn't do it, but you can check with the manufacturer on that. Is this new PT the subfloor or was there a subfloor and this is the underlayment?

OK, now my question. Why vinyl in a sun room? It's not what I'd consider an appropriate flooring in that kind of room.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Jeffries (06-21-2010)
Old 06-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #6

Also one other thought, if you find out it's ok to put some kind of underlayment over the PT plywood, make sure you use fasteners that are approved for contact with PT wood. Usually means hot dipped galvanized or epoxy coated like the newer deck screws. The boxes are starting to say 'safe for use with AQ', that's the new treatment in PT wood.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkmph View Post
Also one other thought, if you find out it's ok to put some kind of underlayment over the PT plywood, make sure you use fasteners that are approved for contact with PT wood. Usually means hot dipped galvanized or epoxy coated like the newer deck screws. The boxes are starting to say 'safe for use with AQ', that's the new treatment in PT wood.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks so much for the info on the right screws to use. That's what we'll do. Jeffries
Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Not so fast.

PT plywood should not be used indoors, I wonder why they did that? I'm not sure if there's any health hazard with the new chemical used in PT, but I do know the moisture content is off the chart. It may be OK to install an underlayment and then vinyl after the PT dries? I wouldn't do it, but you can check with the manufacturer on that. Is this new PT the subfloor or was there a subfloor and this is the underlayment?

OK, now my question. Why vinyl in a sun room? It's not what I'd consider an appropriate flooring in that kind of room.

Jaz
Jaz, we are putting a plywood subfloor over this P.T. wood floor. We are also wondering why P.T. wood was used. I wasn't sure what kind of flooring to put over the subfloor and thought vinyl would be OK. If that's not considered appropriate what would you suggest?
Jeffries