Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Can't get vinyl on stairs or 2nd floor?

I want to know if anyone has ever heard of a builder saying that they can't put vinyl floors on stairs or anywhere on the 2nd floor except the wet areas. I have not gotten an exact explanation yet only something about it being against their construction policy.

I don't know if I should believe this and give in or pursue this further.

Our sales manager is checking with her manager and the construction manager about this and also going to check if laminate is allowed but I want to see if all this is BS or real.

The house is a new construction in the Houston area.
JetRocket11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #2

why would anyone want vinyl on stairs. to put vinyl in places other then wet areas the builder would have to put underlayment down under the vinyl, maybe that's why they say they can't. people used to do it all the time but you didn't have the choices you have now. i would say the builder just doesn't want to do it. personally i can't see why anyone would want vinyl everywhere anyway. if the builder does do it and he picks it don't be surprised if its the cheapest stuff you can buy. i would choose laminate over vinyl anyday
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:52 PM   #3

There are many reasons why someone may not want carpet everywhere.
Biggest reason for us is pets. We have 2 German Shepherds that shed all year long so we don't want carpet. Vinyl, Laminate or Tile is our choice but I guess that's not an option on the 2nd floor which is stupid.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:05 PM   #4

Your saying vinyl, but I think you really mean laminite instead.
There is not good way to lay laminite on a set of stairs. It's a floating floor, how would you trim it out on the ends and over hang and still have it move?

At the top of the stairs you have to have a landing tread, a landing tread is 3/4" thick, how to plan on making the transition from the tread to the flooring?
Laminite is also loud to walk on unless you go with cork underlament, all that sound will be transmited down stairs.
Some condo associations ban the use of it for this reason.

Far better to use real wood stair treads and at least engineered flooring if you want a real wood look.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #5

Carpet on the stairs is fine. I can live with that. But why can't they put either vinyl or laminate (builder says those are 2 different options) in the rooms upstairs unless its because of the reason you mentioned in your first reply.

If we are stuck with carpet are there any suggestions which type would be best to withstand 2 large dogs that constantly shed? I am not worried about accidents since they dont do that and they will mostly be on the 1st floor but if / when they end up on carpet which one is easiest to get hair out of?
Old 10-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Why not real wood treads? Then the hair just sweeps off.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #7

What does it cost? There is only so much we can afford.
Dont want to pay anymore than we already have.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #8

Real wood treads will last at least 100 years with just refinishing once in a while, how much do you think you will save with carpet?
Not fun having to go down the stairs on your hands and knees having to hand vacuum out all the hair.
If you go back and look at some of the old post you will find at least 100 people asking how to remove the carpet and install real wood treads and none asking how to carpet them.