Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can't get cement boards level

I'm installing tile floors for the first time. My subfloor is level, but as I lay my hardibacker I can't get the seams to level. They are perfect until I start to screw down the boards, then they shift up and down at random. Most of them are barely off, but one is almost 1/4" off. I'm assuming that's a big problem.

Before I lay tile, how can I make the boards level again at the seams?

SCarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,374

What are you using for tile backer? Are you bedding it in thinset?

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
but one is almost 1/4" off.
That's not possible. Are you missing a pencil or something?

What specific board. which screws or nails, thinset? Thinset under the board, what size trowel, are you fastening from center out or diagonally?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
That's not possible. Are you missing a pencil or something?

What specific board. which screws or nails, thinset? Thinset under the board, what size trowel, are you fastening from center out or diagonally?

Jaz
Hardibacker 1/2" board....thinset under the board with 1/4" notched trowel, hardibacker 1 5/8" screws...center out
Old 11-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #5

So far I've laid 5 boards and only one seam of one of them is significantly out of level. Could I use patch and leveler to make it less dramatic?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
So far I've laid 5 boards and only one seam of one of them is significantly out of level. Could I use patch and leveler to make it less dramatic?
No. You are not painting or laying vinyl, you are installing ceramic tiles which do not bend much. The floor needs to be flat.

Either the floor was not flat to start, or you created the hump while installing the boards. I bet the board lifted as you were driving the screws which can easily happen with Hardie. Is the problem along an entire seam or just near a screw?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
No. You are not painting or laying vinyl, you are installing ceramic tiles which do not bend much. The floor needs to be flat.

Either the floor was not flat to start, or you created the hump while installing the boards. I bet the board lifted as you were driving the screws which can easily happen with Hardie. Is the problem along an entire seam or just near a screw?

Jaz
Correct, the board lifted as I was screwing. The separation is roughly 1/2 of the 5-foot length of board.

Each board rose slightly as I was installing screws, but fell back to level as I tightened. This one seam refuses to go back down. I removed the screws and installed them again about an inch away from each original hole and that didn't solve the problem.
Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCarolina
Correct, the board lifted as I was screwing. The separation is roughly 1/2 of the 5-foot length of board.

Each board rose slightly as I was installing screws, but fell back to level as I tightened. This one seam refuses to go back down. I removed the screws and installed them again about an inch away from each original hole and that didn't solve the problem.
Well OK. I guess you knew what was happening but missed this section. Go ahead and cut this part out and redo it.

Jaz

Old 11-18-2012, 07:29 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 3,126

If you predrill the holes with a masonery drill that will not happen.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote