DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Can't get cement boards level (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/cant-get-cement-boards-level-163647/)

SCarolina 11-17-2012 11:37 AM

Can't get cement boards level
 
I'm installing tile floors for the first time. My subfloor is level, but as I lay my hardibacker I can't get the seams to level. They are perfect until I start to screw down the boards, then they shift up and down at random. Most of them are barely off, but one is almost 1/4" off. I'm assuming that's a big problem.

Before I lay tile, how can I make the boards level again at the seams?

oh'mike 11-17-2012 11:47 AM

What are you using for tile backer? Are you bedding it in thinset?

JazMan 11-17-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

but one is almost 1/4" off.
That's not possible. Are you missing a pencil or something?

What specific board. which screws or nails, thinset? Thinset under the board, what size trowel, are you fastening from center out or diagonally?

Jaz

SCarolina 11-17-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1054257)
That's not possible. Are you missing a pencil or something?

What specific board. which screws or nails, thinset? Thinset under the board, what size trowel, are you fastening from center out or diagonally?

Jaz

Hardibacker 1/2" board....thinset under the board with 1/4" notched trowel, hardibacker 1 5/8" screws...center out

SCarolina 11-17-2012 12:16 PM

So far I've laid 5 boards and only one seam of one of them is significantly out of level. Could I use patch and leveler to make it less dramatic?

JazMan 11-17-2012 12:44 PM

Quote:

So far I've laid 5 boards and only one seam of one of them is significantly out of level. Could I use patch and leveler to make it less dramatic?
No. You are not painting or laying vinyl, you are installing ceramic tiles which do not bend much. The floor needs to be flat.

Either the floor was not flat to start, or you created the hump while installing the boards. I bet the board lifted as you were driving the screws which can easily happen with Hardie. Is the problem along an entire seam or just near a screw?

Jaz

SCarolina 11-17-2012 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JazMan (Post 1054316)
No. You are not painting or laying vinyl, you are installing ceramic tiles which do not bend much. The floor needs to be flat.

Either the floor was not flat to start, or you created the hump while installing the boards. I bet the board lifted as you were driving the screws which can easily happen with Hardie. Is the problem along an entire seam or just near a screw?

Jaz

Correct, the board lifted as I was screwing. The separation is roughly 1/2 of the 5-foot length of board.

Each board rose slightly as I was installing screws, but fell back to level as I tightened. This one seam refuses to go back down. I removed the screws and installed them again about an inch away from each original hole and that didn't solve the problem.

JazMan 11-18-2012 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCarolina
Correct, the board lifted as I was screwing. The separation is roughly 1/2 of the 5-foot length of board.

Each board rose slightly as I was installing screws, but fell back to level as I tightened. This one seam refuses to go back down. I removed the screws and installed them again about an inch away from each original hole and that didn't solve the problem.

Well OK. I guess you knew what was happening but missed this section. Go ahead and cut this part out and redo it.

Jaz

joecaption 11-18-2012 08:29 PM

If you predrill the holes with a masonery drill that will not happen.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.