Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2011, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Can't get any coating to stick to floor

I have acid stained concrete floors throughout the house. I have done all the work myself.

My problem; I used a sealer after staining that appears to claim to protect the floor from things like mild acids. It does not. Vinegar and a rotting potato penetrated and destroyed the actual acid stain. I need to put a protective coating over the floor. The sealer is a solvent based product.

My choice was a polyaspartic (PAP). It won't stick.

I tried epoxy as a base coat. It won't stick.

I tried a water based urethane based floor "wax" called Wonderglo. It seemed to stick. I added epoxy so I could try to add an epoxy base layer with PAP on top. The epoxy stuck to the urethane. However when I tested adhesion, it pulled off the urethane lawyer with the epoxy.

I have very little information about the components in the original sealer. I have tried the stripper cleaner sold by the sealer manufacturer (really nasty fumes) and it does not change anything. I found one single reference in the text of the MSDS that mentioned siloxane. I am guessing that it is at least partially responsible for the non-stick effect.

Does anyone have any idea what I might get to adhere to this stuff so I can ultimately get PAP on top?

Note: The manufacturer of the sealer is of no help. Please don't suggest it.

Last edited by alternety; 09-01-2011 at 04:22 PM.
alternety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 05:50 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Can't get any coating to stick to floor

Yep Siloxane is basically a silicone derivative. Nothing sticks to Silicone. You will have to completely remove the sealer. Anything strong enough to remove it will quite possibly damage the acid stain underneath. You may be at a point where you have to grind it down and redo the entire project.