DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can't find good laminate comparison anywhere

7K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  IceT 
G
#1 ·
I've been trolling the net for weeks now looking for some good laminate flooring comparisons but haven't found any. I'm sure many people have been in my position before....about to make a large purchase but are hesitant due to being unsure.

It seems that I can't find a good comparison of multiple brands from an unbiased source. Even consumer reports hasn't performed a rating since 5/02!

Everything I find is usually people's personal opinions on message boards, and usually you find positives and negatives for every brand.

I'm looking for something that will be in my hallway and living room (high traffic areas) and really wouldn't like to spend more than $2.50....but if I can get something comparable for cheaper, I would.

I'm just really having trouble knowing who to trust. Usually the internet is great for these things, but I'm not having any luck.

Any help here?

#2 ·
In this case, sometimes the internet can do more damage than good sometimes.

Buying lam is no different than anything else. You get what you pay for.
Costco has a good price, but no matter how you look at it, it's still entry level laminate.
You can get some good lams from China, Germany, and other places if that's your bag, but personally here is what I recommend:

A high pressure lam is the most durable on the market.
ALLOC has a few selections
WILSONART classic and estate are H.P.
Pergo Select is also a HP

But the price will follow the quality.

all lam manufacturers have a good, better, and best quality in their line.
Your price might demand the good quality or possibly better.
So I would recommend Quickstep. Their QC is second to none. And although there a better qualities around, including in the Quickstep line, I think your money will have more bang for the buck in the entry level Quickstep.

Unilin owns quickstep, and they also make the Costco stuff. But it is not manufactured the same way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.