Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

Share |

Can you tile over existing tile?

Question for you guys - I am re-doing a small bathroom in my house. The floor has a plain white ceramic tile on it, its original to the house (20 years old) and is in perfect shape, no cracks or movement anywhere, grout and all is in good shape. Someone told me that you can just install new tile right over it, no need to pull up the old tile. If this is true then it would make the remodel considerably easier. So the question is can you do it?

Thanks for the feedback

meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #2

Yes, But it is not recomended. I have done it at the customers request with no guarantee. The customer is still pleased with the floor after 8 years. I just put hardwood in the living room. Still it is not recomened.

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM   #3

this is a judgement call. i have installed over tile that was approx. the same age. it was embedded into the concrete. i scarifed the old tile. (scuff up tile surface with a diamond cup wheel on a grinder). trowel loosely mixed thinset over tile to ensure a flat surface to bond to. let dry. then tile over. you will have height differences at doorway.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Tileguy

Technically yes you can, but why would you want the new tiles installation success to hinge on a twenty year old installation that may be at the end or nearing the end of its life to begin with?

Scuff the tile and use a quality modified thinset mortar. Do not use premixed mortar.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #5

Thanks I was wondering if I would have to scuff the surface of the tile, especially since it has somewhat of a gloss to it. As for the height at the doorway, it should still sit fine with the saddle.

Not sure if I will go this route but it sure would make things easier. I think the original tile is layed on top of a plywood subfloor so I'm sure if I pull it up I will be replacing the subfloor as well. If I do that I might as well put Ditra down to. I don't normally take the easy way out on projects but man I'm tempted!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
I'm sure if I pull it up I will be replacing the subfloor
That's a 50/50 proposition unfortunately. You could try removing a few tiles just to see what happens. If you damage the substrate just fill it (the damaged area) with concrete patch and tile-over everything else afterall.

A floor that old and installed on plywood is asking for trouble if you leave it.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #7

in my area the older houses have octagon tile which are embedded into a lath and concrete substrate over plywood. tearing them out is a pain and most do not want to pay for the tearout. i usually tear out everything down to sheathing but in these kind of houses it is expensive and time consuming not to mention dusty. this is when u tile over exisiting. i do not warranty anything.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. Going to look at tiles next weekend and then I will figure out what to do. I also need an electric kick heater for under the vanity, any recommendations? The whole bathromm is about 12x10 so I should really stop being lazy and pull it all up.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:48 PM   #9
Tileguy

If you decide to remove everything and start over you could then install an electric floor heat system. The floor heat mats and thermal mass required would raise the floor about 3/8" before the new tile.

Something to think about.

Take a look at the Suntouch System from Watts Radiant.