Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #1

Share |

Can someone please help me!

Hi, John here from MS. I seem to be having problems with my Mannington floor I am trying to lay down. First of all, I have laid a few hundred sq feet of laminate in the house from Lumber Liquidators, from a pro, but not new at this. Here's my problem:

I am trying to finish a remodel in the kitchen. I purchased Mannington tile revolutions locally. First row laid down fine, started second row, and things just aren't locking as tight as they should. The stuff is in about 12"x50" planks, and I can lock them in 3 planks long (150") and still slide the two rows using the palms of my hands. Also I can try to seperate two planks pulling directly apart and the tongue/groove will seperate around a 64th to a 32nd with modest force.

Is this normal? I am afraid even if by some miracle I got all the simulated grout lines lined up and finished, I am only one 12 year old (i have two, lol) running through the kitchen and all is out of whack again.

I can glue each starting plank on each row, but of course if I damage one I am up a creek without a paddle!

Thank you all in advance!

john

redkneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

lumber liquidators is a "cheap" version of products. As such the tolerances are not as good as you hoped for. You are not doing anything wrong..... just using cheap stuff.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
lumber liquidators is a "cheap" version of products. As such the tolerances are not as good as you hoped for. You are not doing anything wrong..... just using cheap stuff.

Wow, I dont get a response for a help issue for 2 days, then you obviously did not even read my post very well. This USA made crap is fitting WAY poorer than my LL made in CHINA products that fit like a GLOVE.

Thanks to the many of you that read this without a post.

Please delete this account, I will not post here again.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redkneck View Post
Wow, I dont get a response for a help issue for 2 days, then you obviously did not even read my post very well. This USA made crap is fitting WAY poorer than my LL made in CHINA products that fit like a GLOVE.

Thanks to the many of you that read this without a post.

Please delete this account, I will not post here again.
That's kind of harsh. I thought the same thing as Bob so I went back and reread. It is hard to follow your question the way it was written. Glad you had good luck with theLumber Liquidators stuf but it sounds like Bobs post was correct for the problem you are having with the new flooring. You really wouldn't want anyone responding if they didn't have a good answer to your question. Try posting some pictures of your problem. That will help describe the problem and invoke some accurate responses.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #5

You're right, my apologies, I am letting my frustations translate into the forums. I am sorry for that. God knows I have misread many a post, and I have surely been "less than clear" on my own postings as well.

For that I apologize.

I was in an emergency state, and after about 200 reads and 0 replies on my very first post, the frustration grew.

Sorry again!

john
Old 01-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #6

john, please don't take high reads but low responses as anything sinister. For some of us, like myself, I often read the posts and then try to determine if I feel qualified enough to answer the post intelligently. Everyone has their speciality and personally, Id rather not answer vs answer incorrectly and have the original poster doing something wrong. Plus, some people only read once a week. ok? Believe me, most people here are more then willing to help.. the key is to provide as much info as possible, and show pictures. In your case, show the area, the products, and the problems, etc.

Hang in there..!
Wiscbldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #7

Why not contact the company that made the flooring and ask your questions. You far more likly to get the correct ansewer to your issue.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #8
DIY staff

Sounds like a bad product---Call Mannington---If you can't get this installed properly--pack it up and return it---get one that works--

Like Joe suggested---call the technical help line first.