Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-10-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
onlinehandyman

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Can someone identify this please?

Hello all,

I have passed through this forum many times and appreciate all of the help that you have given me from time to time - thank you.

Recently I came upon a problem that after searching through past posts was not able to find an answer to and was hoping that someone could shed some light on for me being I usually subcontract flooring, but am looking to do this one myself.

I want to repair a damage to a floor and assume that the damage section has to be cut out and replaced - in less some one has a better idea???

But, the first problem is I cannot decide if it is wood or laminate so I have attached pictures. The material looks and feels like engineered hardwood. What's throwing me off is that it is very thin like a laminate and the person who installed it thinks it is a laminate. Yet it looks high end and I have never seen laminate look this good before. As I said my first impression was engineered hardwood. Is it possible that laminate could be looking this good these days???

Then once I have determined what I am dealing with should I be cutting this piece out. I think laminate can be replaced, but am not sure how considering that it is a floating floor. How would I get my replaced section and the rest of the floor to sit at the same height - or can't I?

If the floor is nailed than I assume that I would leave the tongue in one side of the replaced board and is glue the best choice for securing the piece.

But, before I think about how to do the repair I assume that I should figure out what I am dealing with.

The first 2 pics below are of the damage and the others are of the replacement piece.

Thank you - all help is very appreciated!

Scott

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...wood_floor.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...od_floor_2.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...oor_back_3.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...loor_end_5.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...or_front_1.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...oor_side_2.jpg

http://youronlinehandyman.com/pics/f...oor_side_4.jpg

Last edited by onlinehandyman; 01-10-2011 at 02:35 PM.
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #2

Dude that’s engineered wood flooring which you can get at home dept and I think it is called Heirloom legacy oak take a sample with you to match it up. Also you can try raising that dent with a damp cloth and an iron which in turn will raise the wood grain. Also just so you know you can also have this floor sanded down at least twice if you ever need to re-finish it…

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to epson For This Useful Post:
onlinehandyman (01-21-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #3
onlinehandyman

Epson, thank you - that is what I thought. It was the thickness and the installer saying "laminate" that got me confused. I never saw laminate like that. Looks and feels like engineered hardwood.

Now, I assume I should cut it out with a circular saw leaving the tonge on the one side and glue down the replacement piece???

Of course I will try the iron first, but am assuming doing it that way will still leave a mark that will be difficult to blend in.

Old 01-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #4

Yes that is correct or you can also talk to your local home improvement store about getting the right shade of wax putty and try and fix it this way. But you would have to first sand the spot lightly that is damaged with fine sandpaper and Wipe off the dust with a tack cloth. Then scoop up enough wax putty to fill the gouge, using a plastic putty knife. Press the putty into it, packing it tightly so it mounds over the top. Run the flat front edge of the knife through the mound forward, "cutting" off the excess wax from the top and leaving the wax in the hole flat and even. Buff the surface of the floor with a cotton cloth, blending the wax with the surrounding area. Let it set up for 48 hours before walking on it
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #5

Online , measure the width of the board to be taken out and the one to be put back in to make sure the replacement is the same size .

make two angle cuts near the end joints about 1" away from the side joints.
make two length cuts 1" from the side joints . you should be able to pop out the center of the board now.

carefully chisel up to the end joints . take a pry bar and tap the remaining board from the side joints.

On the replacement board cut the bottom of the grooves off and cut a 45 on the bottom of the groove that is left.

Put a bead of PL400 in the hole slide the board into the hole and apply a weight .

I always do a dry run first . Place a 1' piece of strong string like fishing line across the hole . if the board don't fit flush it will need to be trimmed a little more.
This way you will be able to get it back out.
Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Floor Doc For This Useful Post:
onlinehandyman (01-21-2011)
Old 01-10-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
onlinehandyman

Thanks guys, I am going to try the steam and the wax putty first, but I have never had much luck with fillers. It just never looks right. I will be very happy though if this gets the job done - I will see what the customer says.

And if it doesn't look good I will replace the board. Epson, thank you for helping me identify the product and the surface repair steps. I thought because of the thickness and what the installer said I might have had some kind of laminate although it really did not look like a laminate to me.

And Floor Doc thanks for the replacement tips. I especially like the fishing string across the hole idea - never would have thought of that. If I do need to replace the board I will also follow the procedure that you outline.

Got to tell you this is why I really like this board. I had a problem, I came here this afternoon and within a couple of hours I have the answers that I am looking for.

Thanks again!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #7

online, did you have any luck using the iron? If so, what steps did you follow? That is the very problem I'm trying to figure out now.
MShomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:57 AM   #8
onlinehandyman

MSHomeowner,

The iron did raise the dent somewhat, but not completely and still left the original mark.

FYI - Just so you know I have tried using an iron on wood dents in the past and you have to be careful and keep a damp towel between the iron and the floor - I once got it to hot and had the poly begin to bubble.

So not being satisfied with just using the iron I got out my circular saw and cut out the entire piece and carefully fit in a new one - it came out GREAT!

I wish you luck and feel free to pm me if I can help further.

Scott

Old 01-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #9

Thanks!
How long did you leave the iron on the floor (on top of the damp cloth)? I was told to make a couple brief swipes over it (with the iron as hot as it will get), then go back the next day and do the same thing -- repeat as necessary.
MShomeowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:55 PM   #10
onlinehandyman

About 15, maybe 20 seconds the most.