Can I Take Carpet Off Stairs And Put Back On Agan? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I take carpet off stairs and put back on agan?

Hello,

My friend and I did something incredibly stupid. We replaced the toilet on the second floor. We thought that we dumped all the nastiness out of the old one, but apparently there was plenty nasty urine/water mix left. As we tilted it on the way down the stairs, a whole lot of it spilled out on the carpeted stairs.

I cleaned it for 2 days. Rented carpet cleaning machine, used vinegar, peroxide, baking soda, you name it. It still reeks. From my online research I learned, that if the padding got wet with urine (in most cases pet urine), you must get to the padding. Clean it or replace it.

QUESTION (finally): If I rip off the carpet of my stairs, will I be able to put it back on? Or, will it be trashed? What should I do?

I never laid carpet before, though I know how it is done theoretically. Plus, in my desperation, I searched youtube for how to videos and have an idea about the techniques and tools used.

Advertisement

mikeyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:17 PM   #2
Stay-at-home GC

Rewards Points: 500

Not a carpet expert but I find stair carpet comes off and goes on pretty easy.

I think its because they are such short pieces and stretching them back to their tack strips is not critical.(Experts chime in here please)

It will be easier if the installer laid them in several small pieces as opposed to one big one but certainly doable.

Advertisement

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,320

It can be done. I have done it a couple times when the step underneath broke.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Jack of all - master none

Rewards Points: 530

In my last house (build new) it was under warranty and the stairs squeeked. I had them fix it and they peeled the carpet right back, screwed down the treads and put the carpet right back. Looked like it was never off.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:03 PM   #5

According to all of the videos that I have watched on youtube, installers use staples when installing it. How do I safely take them out without ruining the carpet?
Will I be able to strecth it back in place without a stretcher?

If it is a "waterfall" installation (one long piece running down) is it doable then? I don't know if it is a waterfall or not. I will have to check when I go home.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:11 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Waterfall doesn't mean it's in one piece. Waterfall means it isn't stapled under the nose of the step. Waterfall steps usually have very few staples(if done right) Yes , you wil probably need a kicker or it will wrinkle. Cap and Band steps(the riser and the step are normally seperate pieces of carpet) due to the nature of them will have a lot of staples. Then there are the ones that are put on with one big piece but are stapled under the nose. They will have a lot of staples under the nose and maybe in the crotch, if the installer didn't use any tackstrip.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Waterfall doesn't mean it's in one piece. Waterfall means it isn't stapled under the nose of the step. Waterfall steps usually have very few staples(if done right) Yes , you wil probably need a kicker or it will wrinkle. Cap and Band steps(the riser and the step are normally seperate pieces of carpet) due to the nature of them will have a lot of staples. Then there are the ones that are put on with one big piece but are stapled under the nose. They will have a lot of staples under the nose and maybe in the crotch, if the installer didn't use any tackstrip.
how can I remove the staples without damaging the carpet?
Old 06-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

They normally pull out and stay in the carpet. Then you just sit down and pull the staples out of the carpet with pliars.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 25

short answer. ugh.

installing carpet on steps is the most difficult part of the job.

However, removing the carpet is necessary regardless of whether its replaced or re-installed so try your best to pull it off without damaging it and the next step may be easier to answer

Advertisement

HarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet stairs install