Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #1

Share |

Can I spot treat with poly?

Our new house has a fair amount of oak floors less than 8 years old. About 4 of the boards seem to have almost like spotted pitting in the finish. As you can see in the pic this board does but the ones on either side do not. Certainly don't have the time or money to sand and refinish everything. Can I use a fine brush and fill these spots in with polyurethane? I can't not look at them... they drive me nuts!
Attached Images

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM   #2

I'd have to be there to look at it but, it looks like someone may have tryed to use wood filler to fill in those low spots, if that's what happened it needs to go first or it's going to show.
I'd also poke around to see if it's evadence of insect infestation. It's not uncommon to sometimes find some bad boards like that as the flooring was being installed so it could be old damage.
See if there's any soft feeling spots in that area where those low spots area.
Keep in mind all I have to go on is one picture, it's just things I'd do if I was there.
Anything near that area that could have caused it to get wet?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

Duh sorry!! seeing that the pic was a bit close up to get any idea of the whole area. The house was built in 2004 and I don't think the floors were original so they're less than 8yrs. 99% are in excellent condition which is why I don't want to redo the whole thing. I redid the 60 year old floors in my last house and swore never again!

Doesn't look like any filler in the spots, literally just looks like raw wood. The pic above is 10' inside the garage door and there are no bad pieces between it and the entry door so I don't think that it is water. Another piece is on the opposite side of the island. Where I would expect to see bad spots... in front of sink and where dog's dishes were... there is no sign of any.
Attached Images

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #4

Could have just been a bad board out of the box. I try and set those aside and use them in a closit.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #5

Clean a small area with a damp rag. Some might suggest using mineral spirits to get off any waxes or such. Let dry. Try to wipe on with a rag some poly just in the bad spots (Q-tip maybe just for the experiment?). Let dry and see if you are satisfied. Perhaps do this in an area that isn't as noticeable if you don't like the look.
bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote