Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Hello,
This is what im wanting to do I have a 3 level home (basement,main,top) I am removing my entry way from the front door and my entry way to my garage and my kitchen flooring and pouring a top coat of cement so i can acid stain it. Is there any problems with doing this. I am looking to pour it the same thickness as my solid hardwood. so is that 5/8" i think. What should I lay down on the subfloor and what type of rebar system should i use? thank you.

ufoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,919
Rewards Points: 2,108
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


I can't see a 5/8" concrete floor lasting very long. But good luck.

__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:44 PM   #3
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,239
Rewards Points: 2,128
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Well you wouldn't use rebar.
And you also wouldn't want to just pour cement. It would never last.

The first thing you would do is to prepare the floor as if you were installing a stone or travertine tile.

Before you do that and get too far we need to know about your floor structure.

What size are the floor joists?
What is their spacing?
What is the unsupported span of the floor joists?
What is the species of the floor joists?
What are the floor joists covered with (sub floor material)?
How thick is the subfloor material?
How many layers are there?

There are pourable cement products made for this very purpose but there is more to it than just dumping some cement on the floor and staining it.

Be glad to help if you will provide the above information.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:50 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,919
Rewards Points: 2,108
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Well you wouldn't use rebar.
And you also wouldn't want to just pour cement. It would never last.

The first thing you would do is to prepare the floor as if you were installing a stone or travertine tile.

Before you do that and get too far we need to know about your floor structure.

What size are the floor joists?
What is their spacing?
What is the unsupported span of the floor joists?
What is the species of the floor joists?
What are the floor joists covered with (sub floor material)?
How thick is the subfloor material?
How many layers are there?

There are pourable cement products made for this very purpose but there is more to it than just dumping some cement on the floor and staining it.

Be glad to help if you will provide the above information.
Bud, you forgot to ask home much homeowner's insurance he has.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


The house is newer built in 2005. 1 layer of 3/4" plywood, joist are every 16" i think no cracking in the house it is a good built home. On the insurance part 200 sqft of concrete dispersed across the house is not going to cause and damage. I'm looking for help not negative info and I think so's, I want facts if it isn't do-able tell me and give me the reason why so I know not to do it. If you never try something you never know if its going to work.
ufoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,919
Rewards Points: 2,108
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


That floor, as is, will have too much deflection for 5/8" concrete.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:32 PM   #7
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,251
Rewards Points: 2,080
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Figure 150 lbs/cu ft for concrete, so a 1 inch slab is about 12 psf. You want 5/8 inch, so that is about 7 psf. Not much different than tile, so your floor may well be able to handle the extra weight.

As for rebar, no reason to use it, the concrete is so thin that you cannot get anywhere near the required cover to prevent rust through and damage, so you would skip it.

I have never seen a concrete floor over joists, not to say it would not work. I have seen plenty of tile floors, but they have very different properties than concrete. It would certainly be an interesting project.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:42 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Thank you for the info. I guess I didn't mean rebar but like a chicken wire or a light gauge metal for more strength
ufoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 PM   #9
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,239
Rewards Points: 2,128
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Quote:
I'm looking for help not negative info and I think so's, I want facts if it isn't do-able tell me and give me the reason why so I know not to do it
Here we go again!!!!
I've done it!
I know how to do it!
It can be done!
I would be happy to assist you!

But if you aren't going to cooperate then I'm not going any further at this time. If you would be so kind as to answer the above questions we can get going with this.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:52 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Thank you for all your help.
ufoman420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 3,919
Rewards Points: 2,108
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Whether you respond here or not, you need the answers to all the questions Bud asked, and that is just the starting point. Good luck.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #12
NACE Coating Inspector
 
mustangmike3789's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 524
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


contact Surecrete Design Products. they have a system for stamped concrete overlays over wood floors. if your project can or can not be done, they can point you in the right direction.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


I would like to pour 3/4 concrete or something like it on my first floor much like to original poster. The total square footage to cover would be about 150s.f. give or take. It is just the kitchen and a little offshoot underneath the wood stove. (I've attached a photo - the OSB, which is painted red in the photo, is what would be covered)

Bud Cline seems to know how to do it and I would like to know if I can, and how to do so.

Here are the answers to your questions that you posed to the original poster.

What size are the floor joists? 2x10
What is their spacing? 16 " O.C.
What is the unsupported span of the floor joists? 11' 2" with solid 2x10 blocking right in the middle of the span all the way across the floor if that matters
What is the species of the floor joists? I believe they are spruce but I am not 100% on that
What are the floor joists covered with (sub floor material)? Advantech OSB
How thick is the subfloor material? 3/4"
How many layers are there? just the 1 layer of 3/4" OSB

I have radiant heat hung underneath the subfloor if that alters anything.

Another added issue is that half of the floor is already hardwood. The concrete would butt right up to it. I assume the wood needs some sort of protection from the concrete? I was thinking of just a layer of plastic or something like it. I don't want a gap between the concrete and wood if that's possible.

I just finished the curved floor project today and wanted to start thinking about the kitchen. I was originally going to do tile, but cutting curved tile will be quite the pain plus the 1/2" backer board plus the tile and thin set put the tile almost 1/8" proud of the hardwood creating a transition issue I don't want (the hardwood is just a bit shy of 3/4").

Thanks for your assistance. Hopefully this can be done.

Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?-img_0223.jpg  
matthewschrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,239
Rewards Points: 2,128
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Self Levelling Compounds are available for this purpose. The subfloor will be fine. The SLC requires a primer to seal the OSB and prevent the edges of the SLC from curling/lifting.

You wouldn't want to pour the SLC tight against the new wood floor. So, you could use a foam sill seal laid up on edge that will later be removed after the SLC has had time to set. This will leave a small 1/8" gap to accommodate expansion and that gap can then be caulked with a latex caulk to match the wood floor color.

After the SLC is in place acid staining can be done but this will require some serious masking of the new wood floor and lower walls and anything that can be splashed during the process.

I would suggest you visit the Mapei International website and research their Self Levelling Compounds used for a wear-surface. Regular SLC's won't work. Then take a look at the website of Gaye Goodman to do a little research on acid staining.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:16 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 10
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Can I pour concrete on my main floor of my house?


Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewschrag View Post
I would like to pour 3/4 concrete or something like it on my first floor much like to original poster. The total square footage to cover would be about 150s.f. give or take. It is just the kitchen and a little offshoot underneath the wood stove. (I've attached a photo - the OSB, which is painted red in the photo, is what would be covered)

Bud Cline seems to know how to do it and I would like to know if I can, and how to do so.

Here are the answers to your questions that you posed to the original poster.

What size are the floor joists? 2x10
What is their spacing? 16 " O.C.
What is the unsupported span of the floor joists? 11' 2" with solid 2x10 blocking right in the middle of the span all the way across the floor if that matters
What is the species of the floor joists? I believe they are spruce but I am not 100% on that
What are the floor joists covered with (sub floor material)? Advantech OSB
How thick is the subfloor material? 3/4"
How many layers are there? just the 1 layer of 3/4" OSB

I have radiant heat hung underneath the subfloor if that alters anything.

Another added issue is that half of the floor is already hardwood. The concrete would butt right up to it. I assume the wood needs some sort of protection from the concrete? I was thinking of just a layer of plastic or something like it. I don't want a gap between the concrete and wood if that's possible.

I just finished the curved floor project today and wanted to start thinking about the kitchen. I was originally going to do tile, but cutting curved tile will be quite the pain plus the 1/2" backer board plus the tile and thin set put the tile almost 1/8" proud of the hardwood creating a transition issue I don't want (the hardwood is just a bit shy of 3/4").

Thanks for your assistance. Hopefully this can be done.

Matt


How did you do the curved edge of your hardwood floor???

roblectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wiring Size Calculations for New Service CorinthWest Electrical 7 12-07-2010 11:36 AM
Concrete floor prep for ceramic tile tpanc13 Flooring 39 06-22-2010 08:50 PM
House Main Drain Leaking under Concrete Tom738 Plumbing 0 06-01-2010 07:54 AM
grounding of main panel and sub panel in older house linkysys Electrical 2 10-01-2009 04:34 PM
exposing main line under concrete wopachop Plumbing 3 03-07-2008 11:59 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.