Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2012, 01:10 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

can I install laminate over a 2 ml edge

I am installing laminate wood flooring in my open concept living room/kitchen. The living room is currently carpeted but the kitchen has a vinyl tile that is 2 mls thick. I know that I have to take out the carpet, but do I have to take up the vinyl tile also? Will that 2 ml edge show or damage the laminate? Also, do I have to take out the dishwasher or can I put the laminate up to the dishwasher? If I laminate up to the dishwasher will I be able to remove it late if I need to?
Thanks, SMS41556

SMS41556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #2
Renovations contractor

Rewards Points: 250

When installing a new flooring in a kitchen you always want to go under the dishwasher, fridge, etc ... However you need to have enough of a gap between the counter and the dishwasher to allow for the new flooring. If the vinyl is in good condition ie. not bubbled or broken up then you could go straight over it however there could be an issue at the transition as you pointed out yourself as it may create an air pocket.

Is your laminate 8mm, 10mm or 12mm? How thick is your underpad? The super thin cheap laminate is less forgiving and also the tongue and groove doesn't stay in place as well as on more expensive products I have found ... So if there is any unevenness at all some times the cheap stuff is a pain to keep together. I usually charge more to install cheap laminate flooring for this very reason. We did two jobs back to back recently .. One with super cheap laminate and one with stuff that was 3 times the price ... The ease of install with the more expensive stuff was amazing in comparison.

Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

If your cabinets have a wooden kick plate on the bottom remove it run the laminate under and cut down the kick plate to fit back.
Make shore your seams are 12" apart and 1/4" expansion gap perimeter.
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 ml edge under laminate, dishwasher, edge, laminate