Can I Install Hardie Board Directly Over Tongue And Groove Sub Floor? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2011, 12:51 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Rewards Points: 10
Question

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


i have my kitchen ripped out ready for a floor can i install hardie board directly to the tongue and groove. if not why? my t/g is in great shape, level, and 16 on center with 2x8 joist. If i can should i just use 1/4" hardie board. please help i have heard many conflicting answers.

Advertisement

kleehammer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:00 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 25
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


There should be a subfloor when installing tile. Make sure there is no flex or movement in the tongue and groove. Do not use hardy board on the floor, they are made for walls and certainly don't use 1/4". Use concrete board 1/2" only on the floors. If you still want to just stay with the tongue and groove and do not want to add or replace with a subfloor you might want to use a membrane. Check with the tile companies to see which membranes they carry. Avoid having the joints on the concrete board line up with the tongue and groove. Screw down well. Don't skimp. Ripping tile out because of cracks is not fun..... Hope that helps...

Advertisement

Jmdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #3
Not so new
 
12penny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Posts: 934
Rewards Points: 504
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


The short answer is no. T&G pine is not stable enough, with or without backer board.

Use the search function, this has been covered.
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #4
Tileguy
 
JazMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Troy, Michigan
Posts: 4,187
Rewards Points: 2,232
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


I don't know who you asked, but there can be no conflicting accurate info on the subject. You should NOT install any backerboard direct over planks whether it's the subfloor or finished flooring. You need to install underlayment grade, (not cheapo CDX sheathing), plywood first. I recommend 1/2" if the planks are as in good condition as you say, thicker if not. More on that later when you ask how to install it.

JMdesign, OMG, where did you get this?

Quote:
Do not use hardy board on the floor, they are made for walls and certainly don't use 1/4". Use concrete board 1/2" only on the floors. If you still want to just stay with the tongue and groove and do not want to add or replace with a subfloor you might want to use a membrane. Check with the tile companies to see which membranes they carry. Avoid having the joints on the concrete board line up with the tongue and groove. Screw down well. Don't skimp. Ripping tile out because of cracks is not fun..... Hope that helps...
The only accurate statement is when you said, "Screw down well. Don't skimp. Ripping tile out because of cracks is not fun....."

To clarify; Hardie is a very acceptable, (#1 seller), CBU. 1/4" CBU's are made for floors and counters, 1/2" CBU's can be used anywhere 1/4" can, but mainly for walls cuz it's compatible with the thickness of wallboard. CBU's add no structural strength, just a "tile-friendly" surface. There is no advantage in using 1/2" on floors unless you want the xtra height.

In addition, membranes such as Ditra also require plywood to bond to. No membrane over planks ever.

Jaz
__________________
Tile 4 You LLC Troy, MI

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:17 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 37
Rewards Points: 25
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


Not trying to argue the point, but I didn't suggest staying with the tongue and groove. I suggested a subfloor but didn't force taking that step , but maybe should have, hence the screw down well comment. No I would not use 1/4" hardie backer on a floor too much flex and not for larger tiles We may agree to disagree on that one, only because our preference is 1/2" concrete board. Very good points though. Thank you for the insight.
Jmdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:50 AM   #6
Doer of Many Things
 
poppameth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Staunton, VA
Posts: 1,179
Rewards Points: 526
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


Quote:
In addition, membranes such as Ditra also require plywood to bond to. No membrane over planks ever.
Actually, if you believe what Tavy Thin Skin says....no never mind, we aren't even going there!
__________________
Darkling Designs
poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #7
DIY staff

 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 22,301
Rewards Points: 3,242
Default

can i install hardie board directly over tongue and groove sub floor?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmdesign View Post
Not trying to argue the point, but I didn't suggest staying with the tongue and groove. I suggested a subfloor but didn't force taking that step , but maybe should have, hence the screw down well comment. No I would not use 1/4" hardie backer on a floor too much flex and not for larger tiles We may agree to disagree on that one, only because our preference is 1/2" concrete board. Very good points though. Thank you for the insight.
--Any 'flex' is taken care of with the bed of thinset that the backer is set into before nailing or screwing.

1/4" for floors is fine---

Advertisement

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tongue and Groove Ceiling install....questions... Dr. Jim Remodeling 9 04-08-2012 01:14 PM
hardie board over 3/4" tongue and groove kleehammer11 Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 2 11-08-2011 07:45 AM
Wood floor on a tongue & groove subfloor. Huckleberry Flooring 4 05-10-2011 09:41 PM
Replacing tongue in groove with support below odonata3 Flooring 0 10-20-2010 11:40 AM
Install Cabinets directly above Tongue & Groove? caezaar Building & Construction 13 07-06-2010 10:50 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts