Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-03-2009, 08:05 AM   #1

Share |

Can I Install Carpet on Stairs as a DYIer?!?

Home Depot is installing carpet for me in two weeks in my basement. They are wanting $8.50 per stair for installation on 13 stairs for a total of $110.50 just for stairs and they are already getting an install labor payment as well as materials.

These are simple basement stairs with stair "casing" on either side...all I am doing is carpeting the treads and risers and tucking the sides on straight stairs. Looking to do hollywood/box style (1 piece per each stair/tread).

Is this something I could do myself with good results if I have a knee kicker from a friend? Looking to hopefully save the extra $110.50 in addition to the other install fees they have for the room alone.

Rhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 AM   #2

You can do anything yourself it you plan well enough and do your research. Im in a similar situation as I am going to have my basement carpeted but I will be doing the stairs myself because of the added cost.

After having put down a runner down my main staircase I can tell you that the key will be to pull the carpet tight under the risers and to get into the creases of where the treads meet the risers.

Leoskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Just be careful. It is very easy to tear the carpet with a knee kicker, especially on stairs.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Doer of Many Things

That's relatively inexpensive for stairs. You'll find out when you get into it that steps can be a real pain. You can certainly do it yourself. Just be prepared for some frustration until you get the hang of things.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
Tileguy

Quote:

What's a DYIer? Is that a Do Yourself Itter?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhat View Post
Home Depot is installing carpet for me in two weeks in my basement. They are wanting $8.50 per stair for installation on 13 stairs for a total of $110.50 just for stairs and they are already getting an install labor payment as well as materials.

These are simple basement stairs with stair "casing" on either side...all I am doing is carpeting the treads and risers and tucking the sides on straight stairs. Looking to do hollywood/box style (1 piece per each stair/tread).

Is this something I could do myself with good results if I have a knee kicker from a friend? Looking to hopefully save the extra $110.50 in addition to the other install fees they have for the room alone.
Stairs are something you show a helper some time down the road.If you want them to last and not be a danger to any one.$110. is cheep I get 175.to 250.depending on the carpet BUT IF YOU MUST. GO to a job site and watch someone install some to see how it is done. good luck !!!!

NO IT ALL is offline   Reply With Quote