DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I cut 72" bamboo flooring to 36" lengths?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  CZ DIY 
#1 ·
Two years ago, I bought a huge amount of 72" horizontal natural bamboo. It's not the fake stuff.

Thickness: 5/8"
Width: 3 3/4"
Length: 72"

This is it, except mine is 72"

http://www.simplefloors.com/products/Clearance-Floors/Bamboo-Flooring-on-Sale/collection64.aspx

It's been sitting in the cartons in my house for the last two years as I finish some remodeling. But my rooms are fairly small, so I think 72" lengths may not look good?

Is it okay to cut each piece down to smaller sizes and install them like that? Or does that introduce problems? I know nothing about flooring, btw. I'm just a fearless DIY'er.

Btw, is it bad to leave the cartons stacked up on each other for two years? It's been inside my heated/air conditioned home.

#8 · (Edited)
CZ,

What you are saying doesn't make any sense to me.

You could start with a full plank at a wall less 1/4" for expansion. Continue adding planks to the far end of that row of planks. Cut off what you don't need of the last piece and make the last piece fit to the wall, less 1/4".

THEN, use that cut-off to begin your next row. Basically you are wasting nothing. This will cause all plank-ends to be located randomly throughout the floor. This ia usually the way it is done.

This is basic, but it's the way it works.:) You don't have to make any tongue and groove cuts at all.

I've never laid floor before.
No kiddin'. Therein lies the problem!:)

I will have to cut the ends off lots of planks to get them to fit.
Yow. So?:)
There is still no waste.

#2 ·
Hi,

I don't see a problem with 6' lengths even in a small room. How small is it anyway and what kind of room? I would not cut the planks. You'll lose the t&g and any micro bevel the wood has. Leave it alone.

Storing it in a conditioned space is the right thing to do.

Jaz

#5 ·
Bud's right, there will be minimal waste, hardly enough to make kindling. Let us know why you were thinking otherwise, it'll sure help others too.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.