DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Can I cover old cracked vinyl flooring with lauan and new vinyl?

5K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  MinConst 
#1 ·
I have a kitchen floor with old 70's flooring very cracked uneven. Can I put down underlyment with plenty of screws and put new glueless vinyl flooring over the old?

#2 ·
As long as there is no structural issues causing the old vinyl to crack there is no reason why not. You say no glue vinyl. If you are just laying sheet goods you will be fine but if using peal and stick tiles don't use luan. Use a 1/4" plywood. Luan has oils in it that will not allow the tiles to bond well. Also fill any voids from the screws or they will show through the vinyl.

#3 ·
I believe normal house settling and age has caused the cracks as the original flooring was glued. There is also places where tile was glued on top of the original vinyl and has caused unveness due to the troweled glue. That is why I think I need the underlying. I did not know the floor was this bad as when I bought the house there was carpet in the kitchen covering it all. The carpet was removed because of a dishwasher flood. I am planning to lay sheet with a foam backing. This sheet is advertised to not need adhesion. Is there a prefered filler for the seams between the luan and in the screw depressions? Thanks.

#4 ·
There is also places where tile was glued on top of the original vinyl and has caused unveness due to the troweled glue. That is why I think I need the underlying.

If you have some tiles on top of the old vinyl I would take them off. Luan will give you a nice clean look but from what you said this will be uneven.

Is there a prefered filler for the seams between the luan and in the screw depressions? Thanks.

A decent wood filler will do. If you keep the screw heads just flush with the new sub floor the filler won't be needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.