Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Can this floor be refinished?

Hi Everyone:

I'm wrapping up some other renovation projects throughout my house and am trying to decide the best plan of action for some of the floors. About them:

• House is a 1915 rowhouse in NJ just outside New York city
  • Floors are thick (I think 3/4 if not more) solid hardwood directly attached to the joists
  • There is no subfloor
  • My two plans of action are either to try to sand and refinish the existing floor, or to use it as a subfloor and float an engineered floor over it
  • The floor is, as you can see, quite banged up. There are some serious dents and scratches, as well as some places where I can only imagine that there were some majors gaps that have been attempted to "filled in" half-heartedly with wood filler by previous owners (just to put carpet over).
  • There is one missing floorboard which was filled in with some piece of common lumber, so I will have to try to find a replacement -- any guess on the species of wood?
So my question to you, dear readers, is this too far gone? Should I try to do a test run with a sander since the cost is relatively acceptable, and even if the end result is not sufficient I can still float a new floor on top of it?

Here's what I'm working with...

CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

One more note. Looks like when they were laying carpet on top, they also screwed down some of the floorboards to the joists. I will probably have to screw these down tightly and consider the filling the holes over the screwheads if I sand down significantly.

CaptChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

I'd sand and refinish that floor in a heartbeat.

Replace any boards that are missing, badly cracked or filled in with wood filler and rent a drum sander with several grades of sandpaper.

And I wouldn't use screws, use finish nails and counter sink them then use a dab of wood filler. Make sure your driving them into a floor joist.

Last edited by Shamus; 08-15-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Shamus is offline   Reply With Quote