Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #1

Share |

Can Ditra be used here?

I want to lay 12x12 porcelain tile in my utility room that has a concrete slab floor. The concrete is 3/4 inch lower than the top of the backerboard under the matching tile in the adjoining kitchen. The kitchen tile is on 3/4 inch plywood, thin set, hardie board, thin set and then tile. I need to go up 3/4 inch before I lay thin set and tile. If I lay Ditra on the concrete, can I use a thicker bed of thin set to set the tile to match the height in the kitchen? I imagine the thin set would have to be around 5/8 - 3/4 inch thick. Is this all wrong? Can I use two layers of Ditra with thin set between them? Should I use SLC or pour mud bed? Should I abandon the DIY approach and call in a professional? All suggestions are greatly appreciated. Have a good day.

You can see my other post titled "Continuing tile from kitchen into utility room" for more info if needed or ask a question. Thanks

BarrieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Can Ditra be used here?

Hi Barrie,

You can not build the floor up with thinset. Example; when you spread thinset with a 1/2" trowel, the resulting thickness once the tiles are set will be about 1/8".

Regular Ditra is 1/8" installed, total. Ditra XL is 5/16" total. Installing two layers of Ditra XL will get you close, but that would be very expensive and makes no sense to me. You forget to say how big the room is.

SLC is very expensive too. A $30 bag will yield about 1/8" for 50 sq. ft.

Your best bet is to hire a real tile setter that knows mud work. He can bond 3/4" of deck mud to the concrete and you'll be all set for tiles.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:12 AM   #3

Can Ditra be used here?

Thanks Jaz for the quick reply.

The utility room is 14'x5.5' or 77 square feet. So about 1.5 bags to cover the area once at 1/8" thick. I guess I would need 6 times that much to get 3/4". Can that big of an area be done by a DIYer with either slc or deck mud? What do you think it may cost to have a pro do the mud? Access is easy through the garage. By the way, what is deck mud?

Thanks a lot. I've learned many new skills since our tornado experience but maybe some things would be better left to the pros.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 AM   #4
Tileguy

Can Ditra be used here?

It will take about 9 - 50# bags if the floor is perfectly level. Your floor may not be.

It's possible that a DIY'r can do both methods, the SLC should be easier. You asked; "what is deck mud?" I recommend that if you don't know what a torque convertor is, you don't overhaul your transmission.

How much will a tile setter charge to install mud? Again you left out the info necessary, where the heck are you? I know a guy in Moldova that will do it for $15, but I would want a bit more. You'll need to find someone willing to do a small job like that. It could be a minimum charge like $200 or so, or at least double that.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:52 PM   #5

Smile

Can Ditra be used here?

Hey Jaz,

Sorry I didn't think to include my location. We're not in Moldova but very close. We're in Chattanooga, Tennessee. I really appreciate your straight forwardness in your advice. Many times people make something sound a lot easier than it really is and I hate to get into something and then wish I had gotten a professional. I've read a lot of your other replies in other people's threads and being new here (this is my 2nd thread about the same issue) I really appreciate the way you tell people how to do a job right the first time and what they can expect if they don't. That being said, I didn't know what a metal brake was before I started doing my siding after the tornado and builders in the area have said ours is a better job than our neighbors who had a professional do his. I couldn't make any money at this however because it took me 5 times longer than it should have. Oh well, if I ever do another siding job maybe I'll be faster. Thanks again for your help, maybe I can return the favor someday.

Tags
ditra, self leveling compound, thinset thickness, tile flooring