Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2014, 10:30 AM   #1

Share |

Buying hardwood on line

Has anyone purchased hardwood flooring from an online site based on samples? I'm looking at weshipfloors.com for some prefinished 3/4" x 5" whiteoak flooring for around $4 per sqft. Any experience?

Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:27 PM   #2

Buying hardwood on line

I'm in the same boat. Been going between Ifloor, BuildersDirect and Lumber Liquidators. BD has been the kindest and most willing to help so far. Shipping can be a ton of money, but I don't have a pick-up truck.

joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 08:43 PM   #3
JOATMON

Buying hardwood on line

I have heard bad things about Lumber Liquidators....

Me? I want to touch it...feel it....see it....if you have bad pieces....the return process can be a PIA.

You really need to check out local flooring stores....you might be surprised at what you can get. The only places are buying up junk that can't sell....then drop the price for people looking for a good bargain....

It's not just a good bargain if you have to do it over.

As an FYI...I just bought 600 sq ft of 5/8" solid bamboo from HD....$1.89 sq ft....and it all fit in my jeep....didn't need a p/u

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #4

Buying hardwood on line

I bought unfinshed from LL and it was great. I could have just as well ordered it online and had it delivered. They had to order it anyway so it's not like I could really see it before buying.
msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:07 PM   #5
Tileguy

Buying hardwood on line

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Shipping can be a ton of money, but I don't have a pick-up truck.
WHAT? You live in NC and don't have a pick-em-up truck? Do people frown at you?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

Buying hardwood on line

It's on my x-mas list every year, but still no.
joemontana16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #7

Buying hardwood on line

I second giving local places a shot.

You can't beat their service, returns, etc will be a million times easier. They are willing to answer any questions you might come up with as you're installing their product. You can go back for extra spline when you realize you forgot 3 feet of it. They too are usually willing to deliver. Your money stays local (huge benefit which is largely overlooked in this Walmart age)

I did my 2000 sq ft house in 3/4 pre finished oak I got locally. The guy was overstocked and the fire marshal was coming the next day. He let me have it for $1 sq ft if I was willing to take it all. Did a bunch of my parent's house with the leftovers.
MissKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:35 AM   #8

Buying hardwood on line

That's the kind of deal I'm looking for. I got 300 sf from LL on clearance last year for our bedroom that was a great deal. This time is for a new home purchase and will be 1500 SF of 3/4 x 5 hand scraped White oak in a gunstock stain/finish. shipping on 4700# is $377 from the mill in TN to IN. None of the local stores has a comparable product. http://weshipfloors.com/ has been real good to talk with and prompt on their sample shipping. I've got a few more weeks to line it up as we close on the new home on April 8, but want to get it finalized so it's there to acclimate and I can get it in and the interior painted before the end of April.
Cattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #9

Buying hardwood on line

I bought some bamboo floors from cali bamboo, www.calibamboo.com I think. I bought the fossilized bamboo. They sent out samples and had all the transition strips I needed including the stair nosing. Very hard finish on the product. Very reasonable price I thought. I think it was under $5 sq ft.
taylorjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:12 PM   #10

Buying hardwood on line

I bought from Hurst Floors. I saw the samples in a local store, but Hurst beat the local price by over $2 a square foot for same exact make/model of floor. I had to pay for shipping BUT this was half the cost of what my local tax would have been. 800 feet delivered to my front door in 5 days and saved $1600, couldn't beat it. Local wouldn't price match or even budge, so they lost.

Last edited by Jb1234; 03-11-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 11:30 PM   #11

Buying hardwood on line

I bought unfinished engineered white oak in 2 batches separated by about a year and they fit each other perfectly. Price was good, their service was excellent.

Last edited by BigJim; 03-31-2014 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Ad removed
fotoburger is offline   Reply With Quote