Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 05:28 PM   #1

Share |

Bumps in wood and vinyl

Hello -
We just moved in to our remodeled house in Woodinville, WA a month ago. It is an older house, from the 1970's, and when we were getting ready to put flooring in a few months ago, it was determined we needed to install a sump pump first.
The guy who installed our vinyl and birch wood floors had accliminated the wood and treated the subfloor as needed. Since moving in we've noticed the vinyl in front of the refrigerator has a big bump in it and I'm starting to notice small bumps emerging throughout the house.
I'm worried about excess moisture (the rainy northwest) and if this is fixable, as WA will never be a dry climate. I'm trying to get the guy who installed our floors to come in this week to look at the bumps. I want to make sure I ask the right questions and have him check the right things. Could something be wrong with the sump pump, too? What kind of moisture barrier should he have used? Is this fixable? Thanks for any insight or recommendations!
JennThom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Bumps in wood and vinyl

What kind of vinyl? Glued or loose layed? What kind of wood? Solid, laminate, engineered?
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 PM   #3

Bumps in wood and vinyl

Quote:
What kind of vinyl? Glued or loose layed? What kind of wood? Solid, laminate, engineered?
Thanks for responding! The vinyl is a ashlar resilient vinyl plank flooring that was sold by the box and you just lay directly on your old floor.
The wood is solid birch, engineered I believe.
Update: our floor guy said:
I went under the house and the pump is working there is no standing water, good! But under the plastic that covers the dirt under the house, is damp. I think this will always be a little damp.
The spots in the hardwood floor - because of the moist soil, and there is a vapor barrier in place,we plan on putting fans under the floor crawl space to dry out.
Than by the end of summer put floor insulation under the floor. If you remember your building inspector said there was no floor insulation and we decided not to add @ that time. Than add plastic over the insulation to add further moisture barrier.
How does this sound? Thanks!
Old 06-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Bumps in wood and vinyl

Did he leave a gap around the walls? Both of those products require an expansion gap of 1/4 inch around all obstructions.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Bumps in wood and vinyl

Hi - what would the obstructions be? I think the wood and vinyl go right up against the walls. By gap, do you mean I'd actually be able to see the subflooring? Thx
Old 06-21-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Bumps in wood and vinyl

There should be 1/4 inch gap between these products and the walls and cabinets. The gap is normally covered by trim. If they did not leave this expansion/contraction gap, these products will buckle. Also, any trim must be fastened to the walls, not the floors. If 1/4 round trim is nailed to the floor it will keep the flooring from expanding.

Last edited by rusty baker; 06-21-2010 at 05:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
JennThom (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #7

Bumps in wood and vinyl

Ok, thanks. I will check this out tonight to see how they did the trim and if the trim could possibly be covering the gap. Thanks for your help!

Tags
floors, sump pump, vinyl, water, wood