Bumps And Bubbles After Final Poyurethaned Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 04:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

bumps and bubbles after final poyurethaned floors

bless his heart, my dear husband just finished sanding, staining, and poyurethaning our hard wood foyer flooring for the first time.......all is dried and hard as a rock ALONG WITH SO MANY BUMPS AND BUBBLES!

What in the world can we do apart from sanding it all off and starting over?

loving but frustrated wife, molly

Advertisement

mollysinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

Welcome Molly, to the best DIY'r site on the web.

Sounds like there was a lack of tack-wiping and possibly the wrong applicator used, but first lets fix the problem at hand.

He/you will have to sand (200-300grit) or steel wool (0-00) the current surface to return it to smooth, and yes you will have to do the entire surface to keep things uniform.

Then clean clean clean, wipe with tack rags, wipe with tack rags, wipe with tack rags, wipe with tack rags, then apply light evenly distributed poly with a lambwool applicator.

I hope you are not going for a high gloss finish, I never recommend going beyond satin finish, its hides things better.

Mark

Advertisement

Old 08-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #3
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,172

Unfortunately you are going to have to sand it all down and start over. Sanding and finishing a hardwood floor is unfortunately harder than it seems, if you want a great looking finish. As to the polyurethane, there are a number of reasons you can get bubbles. First off, you need the correct brush for polyurethane, very different than a latex paint brush. Second, you have to be extremely careful never to shake polyurethane, you need to stir it very gently, then let the bubbles escape.

And when you put it on, you need to be very careful about not agitating it. It can be finicky about drying also, I never apply under high humidity conditions.

If you do try this again, I strongly recommending purchasing a book on floor finishing, read it first, then try again. Or hire a professional.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote