Bruce Lock & Fold Engineered Hardwood? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
zel

Rewards Points: 150
Send a message via AIM to zel

Bruce Lock & Fold engineered hardwood?

Has anyone used this yet? We are considering it for the master bedroom. It seems to be easy to install like laminate, but has the high quality of real wood. I'm just looking for opinions and suggestions on this. Lowes is having a 20% off sale on special order flooring. Thanks!

Advertisement

zel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:36 AM   #2
zel

Anyone? Bueller?...Bueller?...

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 11:35 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Hi Zel, i've been suckered into putting this down in my mother-in-laws living room this saturday, i would like some advice also.
sedwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 12:33 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Probably a thin engineered.

nothin wrong with that. unless you want higher quality, or a different type of species.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:53 PM   #5
zel

thanks for the replies! It is 3/8" thick. When looking at the end, it looks like plywood. We went to Lowes to get some samples last night. I guess my question was a little vague. I'm wondering about the ease of installation? Also, if the planks are laid parallell to the floor joists, will I see "ridges" when looking across the floor? I have 3/4" ply over 2x4 joists, with the "4" side being the nailing surface for the subfloor. The joist spacing is 2' and when gutting the bathroom, I noticed the subfloor sags a little between the joists.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:52 PM   #6

3/8 is thin but still a wood that will be o.k.
gluing to subfloor is fine, it is an engineered (ply) so that is acceptable, but the sagging needs to be corrected before install.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
zel

Thanks for the reply. The whole house is like that. I dont see any way of correcting the sagging, short of rebuilding the house.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:25 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

I thought about using it in my basement. Bought a case and tried to lay it out on my floor as a test. Pure crap. It will not lay flat. Cups. I suspect that if I had connected the whole case, I would've ended up with a tube. It's junk.
rbodenschatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:24 PM   #9
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbodenschatz View Post
I thought about using it in my basement. Bought a case and tried to lay it out on my floor as a test. Pure crap. It will not lay flat. Cups. I suspect that if I had connected the whole case, I would've ended up with a tube. It's junk.
Let me get this straight now...Are you saying don't use it?
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 10:22 PM   #10

it cups right off the start?

Was it acclimated?
Do you have a humidifier?
Old 04-08-2007, 12:32 AM   #11

Thumbs up

I just used this flooring today and I did about 1/3 of my office/living room. I love it. You have to be sure to press the locking edge under the receiving edge firmly before you lay it down and some boards won't lay down as well as others but so far 90% of the boards I have laid have went in with ease and the other 10% worked elsewhere. The only point where there is any issue is the space where the two rooms meet. Laying the floor was so easy that I just picked up what I had laid in that area and did it again. As for the "cupping" comment: of course there will a little of that if you lay a few pieces without a moulding to hold the edges down. Even when I was in the store putting samples together they weren't flat but the weight of the floor and the moulding keep the floor in line. I used a spare box or two to weight the floor down while I was working. I'm actually looking forward to finishing up tommorrow.

PS - I bought at Lowe's during the 20% off sale too.
smgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:42 AM   #12
zel

Great info! Thanks!
Old 04-08-2007, 01:02 AM   #13

Old 04-09-2007, 10:49 PM   #14

I stumbled across this board while looking for information about the Lock & Fold flooring. I'm looking at trying it late this year but it will be a big project at ~750 sqft. In the meantime I'm gonna be scouring the net looking for comments and tips.

smgray- thanks for the pic and the positive comments. I'd welcome any helpful hints you come up with based on your experiences. That goes for anyone else out there (Sedwick??)

zel- I'd love to hear your experience if you try it but I agree with Florcraft, everything I have read has stressed the need for the subfloor to be completely level.

I am on a slab so one of my questions concerns verifying the concrete moisture content. They recommend using a "Tramex concrete moisture encounter meter". Since I've never had to have my concrete moisture measured, is that something I can rent from a typical hardware store?

If this thread is still alive when I finish mine I'll be sure to post my comments.
Genghis1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:54 PM   #15

The subfloor needs to be very flat in a newer building but the slight dips in my concrete subfloor has given the floor a sound that is authentic for a 90 year old condo. Just be sure not to leave and tiny bits of plaster, concrete, tile or anything hard under the floor. I have only cut about six pieces in laying 200+ sq. ft. The less you cut the better as any peice you cut will have limited utility once you cut off the locking edge. It takes a long time to lay it without cutting but they give you enough variations in length to fit almost any space.

Advertisement