Bruce Hardwood Lock In Flooring For Second Floor In Townhouse - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bruce hardwood lock in flooring for second floor in townhouse

Is nails and glue better for a second floor in townhouse. Concern is noise/squeaks.

Advertisement

gretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:26 PM   #2

I'll start out by saying that I'm not a professional, BUT I installed hardwood flooring in both bedrooms on the 2nd floor of my townhouse a year ago. I screwed down new OSB to raise and level the subfloor (so that it was at the same height as the hallway), laid down Aquabar B on top of that, and stapled the boards down. No squeaks, no noise so far, and it looks more "professional" than the rest of the house, which actually WAS done professionally.

Advertisement

jagec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 PM   #3

Squeaks are most commonly caused by the sub-floor, so if you don't want them, handle the subfloor, not the finished floor. The quickest way is to find the joists, snap lines and get a framing nailer with 2" nails and just go to town, put a new nail every 8" and you can be relatively certain that your floor will not squeak.

If you want to save some time concentrate in the doorways and heavy traffic areas where squeaks are more likely to occur and more likely to irritate you. Screws are a great option, they take longer but as long as the are put in correctly they are better than nails. What you want to do is stand on the section you are screwing while you drive the screw so that it draws down tight and doesn't actually hold the board up away from joist, buy screws with no threads at the top of the shank to prevent this as well.

Glues are more difficult to work with so I would recommend nailing the finish floor. Also glue-down installations are more difficult to repair if the need ever arises.

Jamy Spencer
www.stlwoodfloors.com

Last edited by Jamy Spencer; 04-09-2011 at 02:43 PM.
Jamy Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote