Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Share |

Bruce hardwood floors

I could use some opinions.I'm looking at solid hardwood without breaking the bank. I'm looking at Bruce Maple Gunstock 3/4" solid hardwood at Home Depot. The price is really good at $2.99/ sq. ft. Is the price too good to be true? Several people gave negative reviews because they say it scratches easily

jjones1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:04 AM   #2

Bruce hardwood floors

I'm not a fan of Bruce flooring and I see I'm not alone.
http://www.flooring.net/wood-flooring/reviews/bruce/

We bought enough flooring to do a 24 X 24 addition. It sat in the heated room for a week.
When we went to install the floors there was missing tounges, some of the groves were missing totaly, were split or had missing areas.
Some of the boards curled others bowed.

Now I'm stuck with three workers and no flooring to install, having to take it all back and having to contact the customer that lives in another state to pick a differant brand of flooring. Not a happy camper.

Last edited by joecaption; 04-18-2013 at 08:52 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #3

Bruce hardwood floors

If you're looking at Home Depot online, be aware that those are online prices. If you find the same thing in the store, it will be another $1-$2 more.

I've read a bunch of reviews on HD, for hardwood, and the biggest complaint is the color is not what they expected. I can't imagine ordering flooring without seeing it in person, but apparently it happens.

I looked at a number of colors online and then tried to find it in the store to get a sample and had no luck. The prices online are attractive, but if I can't see it, it means nothing to me.

If you have a Floor & Decor near you, I'd suggest checking them out. They also have a website and you can even order samples. Their online prices are the same as their store. And if the store is higher than the website, let them know and they will honor the online price. At least that's what they did for me.
Brad Nailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #4

Bruce hardwood floors

A lot cheaper is not a good sign when it comes to wood. Unless its something you picking up from a friend. There is usually a good reason why it costs less. Because it is low grade wood.
jessrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 08:45 PM   #5

Bruce hardwood floors

I've used Bruce pre-finished many times with good results. The only complaint I ever had was one customer who noticed that the finish faded where the sunlight from a bay window fell on the floor most of the day. That was approximately twelve years after the floor was installed, and the fading was very slight.
I would not hesitate to use Bruce.
Davejss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:00 PM   #6

Bruce hardwood floors

I have installed this for a few customers. It is one of the cheep and easy ways to go. No problem wih anythig except i suggest you take severall boxes at a time so you can mix them. The sheen can vary between boxes. Most wood floors in direct sunlight over a 12 year timeframe will fade.

skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote