Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Brazilian Cherry cleat nail or staple?

I am about to install a brazilian cherry floor in my home, I have never installed a hard wood floor before, so..... Any way what is the best way to put it down? cleats or staples? 0.75" thick x 3.25" wide.
Thanks

PrecisionWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:38 PM   #2

Hello everyone, I am about to start a new floor installation. But I don't know exactly where to begin. Does anyone have an idea as to where and what I begin with?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Hello Everyone,
As I am beginning to install my new floor, I just encountered a problem. My floor is not properly leveled and I dont know whetehr I should leave it like that or try and fix it? Does anyone have any idea whether I should level my floors or leave it the way it is?
Old 05-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #4
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

I have never used anything but a powernailer with cleats. The cleats are serrated and coated to hold better. I have never had a callback on a floor in 40 years so I see no reason to change.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:50 PM   #5

Definitely level it. Are you installing over concrete slab or plywood subfloor?

On slab - use leveling compound

On plywood, you can sand down the high spots with a belt, drum, or flooring edge sander. Fill low spots with 30# felt paper, layering and tapering it as needed.

You should have a long straight-edge on hand, to find these spots. The manufacturer's installation instructions for your wood flooring should tell you how much fudge room they allow.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

My honest opinion, after installing mine a few weeks ago.... hire somebody else to do install it. After renting the following tools, I only saved $400 and ended up extremely sore.

Rented: Species-specific moisture meter. (This is your most-important and most-overlooked tool. If you use the wrong type of moisture meter, you are setting yourself up for a costly failure.) Table saw, edge sander, cleat nailer, top nailer, power jamb saw, powerjack.

Owned: Power Miter saw, shopvac, prybars, kneepads (don't go with the cheap disposable kind), jigsaw.
Purchased: 2ft-long slotted screwdriver (for prying unruly boards into place), flooring install kit (http://www.harborfreight.com/floor-i...kit-96447.html), chalkline (to set your starting course).

A good hand-plane would've been useful, but I overlooked it.

This site was pretty useful: http://www.hardwoodinstaller.com/har...loor-tools.htm
As was hardwoodflooringtalk.com

And youtube...

Last edited by Seattle2k; 05-22-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #7

Thanks! I already leveled it...The level measurements are slightly off, but I figured it was okay..Am I right??? I'm actually installing over plywood subfloors thats why im nervous tackling this project. There is no turning back after I start. The long straight- edge saved me from a headache. I was able to find the spots all over the place. But what would happen if I left some spots untreated?
Old 05-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #8

Why would I need a moisture meter? I didn't even know I needed one to install wood floors. I rented a edge sander, cleat nailer, top nailer, power jamb saw, powerjack. But the Table saw and a shopvac, I don't have. Do you think it would be a problem if I don't get one?

And thanks for the tip on disposable knee pads but you're right I shouldnt. With this advice i'm feeling a lil better. Thanks for the guidance!