Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 AM   #1
long island, NY

Share |

brand new vinyl floor problem

this stinks! We just installed a budget vinyl floor (cryntel 12" tiles from lowes... the 89 cent variety). It looks gorgeous.... except, a few tiles are already peeling in the corner! It's only 3 tiles, but the floor is only 2 weeks old...... Is there something we can do to halt this process? I think I read somewhere about a sealant to use between the edges of some vinyl tiles. would that help? Is that even a product that can be used on these vinyl tiles? I'm so bummed. I was hoping that our floor would last at least 5 years.

diy'er on LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Go buy a small container of vinyl tile adhesive. Peel up the loose tile, if they don't want to come up, heat them with a hair dryer. Put the adhesive down, (a very thin coat, if you have a trowel, use the back side) let it dry to where it doesn't leave residue on a finger and reinstall the tile. This should work.

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Jim F (09-09-2010)
Old 09-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #3
long island, NY

sorry... I guess I didn't describe things accurately.. The tiles are stuck down very well. The paper-thin surface sheet of the tile (where the pattern is printed) is peeling on a few tiles.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Take up a tile and take it back to Lowes. They should replace them.
Old 09-07-2010, 08:12 PM   #5
Tileguy

I doubt the peeling is due to cheap tile. It could be a defect, but most likely the corner was not bonded yet and something may have been slid across the floor. In any case even inexpensive vinyl tiles have the ability to last a long time. That is not why they are cheap.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Jaz, I think he means the finish coat is peeling off the tile.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:58 PM   #7
Tileguy

Yes I know. It's the PVC sheet that covers the printed pattern. It's about the thickness of copy paper. That's what may have caused the peeling from sliding something across the floor. If it wasn't peeled when installed, that's what happened...I believe.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #8
long island, NY

well, we bought them almost 10 months ago, and only installed them a couple weeks ago (confessions of DIY backlog!) So, I don't think I can take them back. Also they're stuck down for good. Nothing less than a hair dryer + a crowbar could pop one up... likely in chunks. I worry that I wouldn't be able to replace them with a new tile and still get nice tight seams.

My husband DID notice a few tiles had defects while installing (small chips in the corner... stuff like that) So there IS a chance, I guess, that they were like that prior to installation. We were very careful to not scratch furniture across the floor. One bad tile IS near the refrigerator, however. Others are far from any furniture (in a walkway area).

My primary concern is that this will happen to all the tiles eventually. I would be VERY relieved if the damage remained restricted to these few tiles. After reading tons and tons of threads about these tiles, I have never heard of such a damage... so I'm kinda bummed out that it happened to us!

Did either of you ever try to restick the PVC sheet? The peeling is hardly anything dramatic. You literally have to go down on your hands and knees and stare at the detailing of the tile. I just want to prevent further peeling. (or should I exacto-knife out the peeling part and call it a day?)

thanks for your help!
Old 09-11-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

when it gets bad, install solid 12' goods over it make the investment...some of the new cushioned sheet goods are easy to install and durable....