Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #1

Share |

Brand new tile, grout messed up

Had a leak behind the shower faucet right when the contractor had finished tiling and grouting our shower. Three days later, the grout still looked damp but we came to realize the grout had dried stained from wicking color or dirt from the hardyboard.

My contractor removed the top layer of the stained grout and applied ceramic tile caulk over the stained grout--primarily on the wall where the shower handles are. He tells me this will hold up as well as regrouting, but I am skeptical and wanted him to use ''real'' grout. Am I right or is he?
kerrysko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
DIY staff

Post up a picture,if you can figure out how----

The spoiled grout should have been removed and replaced----calk is not going to look right--ever---so it should go----
joecaption (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #3

Angry

The caulk looks exactly like the grout, but that's b/c it's the same brand and color as the grout--Polyblend bone color. I just don't understand why he didn't just remove the grout and replace it. Twenty minutes or so for him to scrape off a bit of bad grout and put new grout in those lines, and it would have been fine. Now I have to remove the caulk and do it myself--after figuring out exactly where it was used. Any advice how to remove the caulk? It's been there for about 8 hours now.

Last edited by kerrysko; 04-04-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #4

If the caulk is bonded will, it will be difficult to remove. Your best bet is to use something to carefully scrape it out. Even then, little bits like to stay behind.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
DIY staff

How wide are the grout lines? If wide---use a grout saw or a milti-tool and a utility knife---

Be careful not to chip the tile glaze---

If narrow? Use a utility knife----
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #6

Wait. Was the water leak fixed?

Polyblend is available from Home Depot. You can get that grout there. You are right that the caulk looks exactly like the grout - by design. It's not particularly difficult to mix up a small batch of grout. Messy, sure. My guess is that he didn't have any handy, but had the caulking.

I'm sure it will hold up fine, but it's also not how I would have done the repair.
zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #7

The leak was fixed, and this so-called repair was done several days later, once the grout had time to completely dry. Grout lines are very, very thin. As for availability of the grout, he had it handy all right--a brand new unopened box of it right in the bathroom which I pointed out to him. I am so angry about this!

Last edited by kerrysko; 04-05-2013 at 08:39 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to kerrysko For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-05-2013)

Tags
ceramic tile caulk, shower tile