Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM   #1

Share |

Blending old wood floors with new

We are getting ready to construct a small addition onto our 75 year old home. Our home currently has original hardwood floors throughout. They are in OK shape, but we plan to have them sanded and refinished when we finish a number of remodeling projects. A 50 sq. ft. portion of the addition will connect directly with the old wood floors and we would like the connection to be as seamless as possible. I have a couple of questions...

1) I have seen it done where some of the old board are removed and new ones woven in. Is this something I can do on my own?

2) Once the floors have been sanded and stained, will it be obvious which planks are old and which are new? Is it advisable to "beat up" or distress the new boards before installing them? Am I better off trying to find old planks at a salvage yard or something?

Thanks!
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #2

you may find similar at a place that reclaims old hardwoods.yes weaving is best and doable although width dimension can be a problemyou could stop flooring at addition then start new perpendicular to old
sometimes habitat carries old floors or you you post on craigs list, might find someone changing out their old floors

Last edited by tpolk; 03-29-2010 at 06:56 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 07:52 PM   #3

consider tpolks idea about changing direction.

antique flooring can be had thru specialty mills.

They buy old wood stock from demo buildings etc. and mill to your specs. You would need to supply a peice of what you want milled.
Know that odds of sap content and the ability to take a common stain of the new to you wood will not be the same as what you have. Pros know many staining tricks to help them blend. Many hours can be spent trying to not let a small area replacement look like a patch job.

Lacing a wide area:
Even with a sample and A++ milling, if board width is off only a 32nd (tight tolerance) you end up way off on wide lace in attempt. You would need to gap if light or shave if mill work is a tad heavy. Real PITA headache

How wide is the area you want to lace in?

Your best results might be to replace all the flooring in the expanded room. Most pros would suggest this OR change direction.

OR plan on a large area rug or carpet runner at your tie-in area to break-up the view.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #4

Thanks guys.

The new construction is a 5'Wx10L alcove/annex to a bedroom. The addition will have a window seat, a closet and some shelving. It will be an integral part of the bedroom, so having the flooring go in the opposite direction might look a little off, no?

We're definitely unwilling to replace the flooring in the room, the house has beautiful, although fairly simple 75-80 year old wood flooring, we're just not willing to tear it up. Plus, where do you stop? The bedroom flooring links up with the hall flooring, and all the other bedrooms.

Is 5' considered a wide area for lacing? Is it doable?
stubits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #5

All things are possible.

The tough stuff just takes more time, money, and luck.

Consider finding a good local flooring company...see what they say... a well done 5' lace-in will require some experiance & luck...you supply the money.

ordering the correct materials takes time and best pratice is to allow wood flooring stock to acclimate.

Looks like you are really thinking this whole project through.
well done
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote