Black Tar Paper Under Linoleum-Asbestos Concern? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Black tar paper under linoleum-Asbestos concern?

Hi there-
I am doing a kitchen remodel on a home in another state, the house was built in 1955. I am in the process of removing a 2 layers of sheet linoleum, under that is some kind of REALLY thick tar paper product (has green on one side). We found hardwood floors under that, and want to refinish.
My questions are:
1. Should I be concerned that this black tar paper has asbestos in it? (I'm only here for about a month and don't have time to send samples off to be tested)
2. So far I've scraped off half of the linoleum and tar paper, there's still a black residue from the paper. How do I remove the residue? My plan was to remove as much as I could by scraping it, and then sanding up the rest...which leads me back to the asbestos concern.

It may not even have any asbestos...if not, then I'm still wondering if sanding is the best way to go, or if I should use some other kind of chemical or a heat gun? (which seems like it would get messy)
Thanks,
Brent
Attached Thumbnails
Black tar paper under linoleum-Asbestos concern?-tar-paper2.jpg   Black tar paper under linoleum-Asbestos concern?-tar-paper3.jpg   Black tar paper under linoleum-Asbestos concern?-tar-paper1.jpg  

Advertisement

bsmith6356 is offline   Reply With Quote