Black Adhesive On Basement Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

black adhesive on basement floor

Hi

I recently brought a house and now DIY the floor basement. After I lift the old floor off there is this black adhesive. It is extremly sticky hard to take it off, could be some kind of tar to prevent moisture in the floor. I was thinking is it possible to thin mortar and install ceramic tile or use another Adhesive on top to install the Ceramic tile? I perfer not to go the laminate way, as we might get a storm and flood the basement. Any suggestion?

Thank you

Advertisement

karlywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

Hi Karly,

That black stuff is called 'cut-back' adhesive used to stick your vinyl composition, vinyl asbestos or asphalt tiles. Be careful when removing it as it likely contains asbestos.

You need to remove it by cutting it away using something like this wallpaper scraper; http://www.google.com/imgres?q=wallp...78&tx=84&ty=75 Be sure not to make dust, mist with water as necessary.

Once only a thin film is left and you can see the concrete, you can either choose a compatible thin set mortar that comes in a bag or try to find a special primer made by Mapei called Eco-Prim Grip. The new Mapei product would be the best way. http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/product-d...37&IDLinea=102

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #3

Hi jaz thanks for the reply

I am not afraid of the Abestos, but just wondering is there a way to use glue or a recommended adhensive on top of it. As it seem a little troublesome to scrap it off. But I will try it tommorrow to scrap it off.

thanks again
karlywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,256

As I said, IF you remove it until there's only a film you can use a compatible thinset, or the new special primer and then the recommended thinset.

That scrapper/cutter, with lots of blades will do the job.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

Every document I read on the internet suggests scrapping. But what I did was 747 (bought from HD) that I now think might not be the correct way to do it. Yes, 747 can remove cut-back, but the surface will be a little bit oily and nothing might stick to it. I then washed it with some type of "all purpose cleaner" (might be "formula 409", from HD), followed by rinsing and washing machine detergent and more rinsing. It was still a little bit oily but less. I read that the 747 thing might come back from deep in the slab and attack bonding agent later. So when I installed wediboard on top I used unmodified thin-set other than modified, and I screwed the boards down with rotary-hammer drilled holes and concrete screw and wedi washer. I used unmodified because the oily slab and the wediboards are both water-proofing so modified won't cure, and there was no organic agent in the thin set for the 747 leftovers to attack. That was a lot more work. I did that because I did research for the first step, carried-on the work, and did research for the next step. Not a good way but I could not wait.

So, you might want to just use a scrapper on it and use the cut-back compatible thin-set after that.

Last edited by AlfredMD; 09-09-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: wrote "raising" for "rinsing"
AlfredMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #6

This stuff works:

http://www.franmar.com/shopping/inde...&products_id=6

It dissolves it into a sloppy mess that you "simply" squeegee off the concrete - see their videos and tips.

Then apply a degreaser to the floor, and after it's all cleaned down to the concrete...

You'll likely find the concrete is SEALED (check by seeing in it absorbs water quickly - or if it just sits there and takes a long time to dry).

Thinset cannot be used on sealed concrete, so you need to grind the sealed layer off.

There are floor grinders that you can rent, but since I had just an 8x10 bath to do, I chose to just grab a diamond grinding blade and a vacuum hood (about $50 total) for my Harbor Freight angle grinder on eBay - not hard and virtually dustless.

For the rest of my below-grade basement I chose instead the DELTA-FL subfloor system (ordered from Lowes), which doesn't require the concrete to be cleaned:

http://www.cosella-dorken.com/bvf-ca...roducts/fl.php

I plan on using laminate and carpet over the FL + 5/8 OSB base.
thatbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 77

Advertisement

bcdinh is offline   Reply With Quote