Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Wood/laminate floors for big dogs

I have carpet covering original hardwood. Rather than refinish, I understand newer products are more scratch resistant. What would you recommend? Thanks

MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

You might use the search feature to explore numberous threads on this topic. And we can assume the dogs are housebroken so we are talking about the occassional accident only but lots of playfulness from 900 pound, drueling mammals right? You do trim the claws regularly?

A lot has to do with the finish on floors or maintaining it when you have big dogs and how diligent you are about trimming their claws and so forth. I like bamboo floors and they are harder than domestic hardwoods. But I have nothing against a nicely finished a hardwood floor and one will hold up well too. With dogs, you might have to screen and apply an extra refresher coat of poly a little more often than without them and you should look for products with urethane, epoxy, etc. reinforcement in them. Area rugs and runners can help protect hardwood and bamboo floors from the dogs to a point.

Newer materials, like laminate flooring, are cheap but are proving not to hold up so well. I think the National Homebuilders forecast a lifespan of 15 years for the stuff while maintained hardwood can last the life of the home or beyond (I have recycled hardwood flooring from century old farmhouses and put it down again in restorations. It will be around for another 100 if maintained). And the cheaper stuff just looks tacky and can bring down the value of your home. All that said, it is cheap enough you could just replace it when the dogs have had at it to the point it looks terrible.

There are some really nice "wood look" long, narrow tiles that some with dogs have boasted about on this site. Or other shape and size tiles are another possibility. You can warm them up with area rugs. I should think if of quality, tile should hold up very well. It depends on tile type, glaze and all of course.

Natural stone is another possibility. Perhaps there is some combination of materials that will best fit your needs. Tile in traffic areas but hardwoods or bamboo in bedrooms, etc.

Wall to wall carpeting is still sort of out and perhaps not such a great idea if you plan on selling the house any time soon. People still worry about allergens in wtw but also the color and texture choices are so subjective you can really turn buyer off with something that suits you but never will them. They then see an immediate expense to get rid of the stuff.

You will get more bang for your flooring buck refinishing or installing real hardwood, bamboo, or whatever floors. Or laying nice tile. And as mentioned, nice floors, if maintained and water spills and all are addressed, will last the life of the home if you want them to. Laminate floors will be spotted for what they are which I guess is not bad unless you try to pass them off as being something else. They do not belong in vintage or antique homes any more than vinyl siding does on the exterior and can actually draw down the value of such a home so be careful.

Last edited by user1007; 05-19-2013 at 11:35 AM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Do be careful of products from places like Lumber Liquidators, etc. for hardwood or bamboo flooring. Sometimes the material itself is passable but you get shipped lots of scrappy little pieces that take forever to layout and nail into a decent looking floor.

There are some beautiful recycled tropical hardwoods out there that are harder than domestic versions or bamboo.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #4

Thanks
Old 05-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #5

My house was built in 55, not new or a classic. Stone would look funny to be sure.
Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,474

Big dogs? Hardwood floors?

Make sure you have lots of video cameras going....you could get that $10k prize from America's funniest home videos.

As mentioned above....the cheap ones will not hold up well...the dog will not be a big factor....kids will actually be tougher.

Bottom line....your dog will be sliding on just about any floor....though, bamboo might be a little easier on them....but get them running and then try and turn a corner? Funny thing to watch.....poor dog.....

Rugs will help the dog a lot.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Bottom line....your dog will be sliding on just about any floor....though, bamboo might be a little easier on them....but get them running and then try and turn a corner? Funny thing to watch.....poor dog.....

Rugs will help the dog a lot.
I used to have the hardwood kitchen floor in my California house waxed and buffed once or twice per year. I had a cutey of a mutt, small but protective and good natured pooch. She used to love chasing this stupid squeek toy and I will never forget the look on her face when she raced as usual for the toy, hit the waxed floors, realized something had changed, tried to get a footing, flipped over and sailed across the floor into the cabinetry.
The Following User Says Thank You to user1007 For This Useful Post:
RWolff (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #8

The dogs are the kids, Max, 60#, Bo, 85#, and the baby, Zoe, 130#. Plan for area rugs, especially in the turns. They have learned to slow in the kitchen when racing through the house. Nothing like loosing traction and ending up against a cabinet on your side.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

The very best hardwood or laminate flooring for a house with big indoor dogs is ceramic tile.
As a multiple big dog owner for many years I've tried it all, the Dupont "Stain master" carpet, the hardwood flooring, the Bruce hardwood parquet flooring, and not one of them lasts under the duress of 20 hard toenails per dog or the inevitable spills, drips and even overtuning of the water bowl (or watering trough)

The carpet fuzzed out quickly, water spills soak into the backing and the wood floor below anyway, liquid "accidents" are a pain to clean out of carpet, hardwood like oak with the open grain tends to splinter and groove when toenails get into the little grain cavities and break them open more, once the finish gets scratched it's like a pool with a leaking liner- water WILL get into the wood, more finish nearby will fail.

Wood floors MIGHT work a little better with throw rugs and runners that can be thrown in the washing machine or thrown away.

Quote:
Nothing like loosing traction and ending up against a cabinet on your side
And while losing traction their nails are trying to grab hold, and that's what is going to scratch the floor big time.

Only viable forever floor I've found is ceramic tile, with my basement being heated the tile is comfortable, I put in commercial grade 5 white porcellain tile 5 years ago and love it.

Quote:
I understand newer products are more scratch resistant.
Scratch "resistant" basically means you'll be stripping and refinishing the floor finish in 5 years instead of 4, scratch resistant is not scratch PROOF, it only slightly delays the inevitable.

Last edited by RWolff; 05-19-2013 at 03:05 PM.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RWolff For This Useful Post:
user1007 (05-19-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 152

you let your dogs in the house?
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Why get a dog if you are going to keep it locked outside? My dog gets treated like a family member. Maybe better.
Troy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:15 AM   #12
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,474

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt82 View Post
you let your dogs in the house?
If your not going to let the dog in the house, why even have one?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #13
Too Short? Cut it Again!

"Proudest moment in a man's life is the day his dog goes off to college".

- Family Guy
Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 252

I would work with what you have and just refinish the wood floors. It will be the most cost effective way. Then just use several coatings of a very durable floor finish.. I would suggest Bona Traffic HD, and doing 4-5 coatings. I would also suggest buffing and recoating the floors every couple of years. Buffing and recoating is very easy to do, and as long as you do it before scratches start getting into the wood, you can avoid the need to sand the floors again for a very long time, even with dogs.

Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote