Best Way To Clean Off Old Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best way to clean off old flooring

I have a bathroom that has had many layers of new flooring. I want to get all the way down to the concrete slab and start from fresh. What ideas or products to get that last layer of glue and glob cleaned up? Thanks

Advertisement

mopar383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

The product is 'elbow grease'.

How a floor is preped depends on what new flooring is to be installed. You gave us no clue. Generally you do not want to use any strippers or chemicals. So, we'll await your plans............

Jaz

Advertisement

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:36 PM   #3

Im very familiar with that product. I have not got the wife to pick what she would like yet. Im thinking its going to something along the line of Pergo. I have not torn this floor up yet so I may be worried about a problem I don't even have.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

A good pry bar, a long one that you don't have to kill yourself will help. Hopefully it'll be old enough that it cracks off in big pieces.

It would definitely help to know the materials that are there as the other poster mentioned. I was envisioning laminate flooring of some type being that you mentioned glue holding it.

I don't know how well it would work, but we just got a steam cleaner and it's taking everything off everything in the house!! Thought it was great at first, but now my painting woes will be starting I'm sure...haha, good luck

I'd imagine there are some industrial strippers available, I'd check home depot, lowes, or whatever hardware store you choose to go to. I'm lucky, I have a small family hardware store here where the guys that work there know everything, if you have one of those, you can probably get great advice for the extra few bucks you spend there
Steeler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,244

A laminate floor....in a bathroom? Are you sure?

I recommend something sanitary.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:43 PM   #6

oh, and one thing I just thought of, I'm not sure if you should or can use pergo in bathroom. I believe that's a laminate suface that's sort of like tongue and groove, and water may seep through the seems and cause swelling in the cheaper grade underlayment side. Perhaps someone else who knows more can elaborate on this
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #7

Great advice guys. Ok so were no longer looking into Pergo.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:57 PM   #8

if you're looking to save money and do it yourself, I'd do ceramic or porcelain tile. I completely remodeled my mothers bathroom last year...new vanity, sink, mirror w/ cabinet, new tub...and ceramic tile all around. I ran the tile 8 feet high in the tub, and completely surrounded the walls to 3 feet high. It was a tiny bathoom, roughly 6x6.

Anyway, the total cost was $1700 or so, and I found 12x12 tiles at home depot for 99 cents a piece...so it was actually comparable to laminate at the end of the day. The most expensive part was the decorative band at the top of the 36"...which I continued through into the tub. The second most expensive part, all the accessories my girlfriend had to buy to put her personal touch on it!

Advertisement