Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #1

Share |

best tools and methods to mix thinset

Started laying my floor tile yesterday and amazed at how much time and amounts of thinset required on 12 by 12 compared to those 4 by 4 wall tile.(my previous ONLY tile experience)

Are there any speed tips on mixing quicker? Tools to use? what to mix in? I am using throw away ice cream buckets,,,better choice???

And while we are at it,,,back buttering tool of choice? My little putty knife seems so slow. Found notched trowel a 'little' faster, What do you pro's use?

Seemed like 1/8 trowel wasnt getting enough on floor where needed,,,1/4 notch seemed better,,,is that the best choice?

tia,,,-don-

4just1don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Don,

Start with a flat bottom 3.5 or 5 gal. pail, like to ones sold at Lowes and HD. You need at least three for the installation.

Use a heavy duty 1/2" corded drill motor with variable speed cuz you need to mix at below 300 rpm, and one of these; http://www.emeryonline.com/shared/im...g/131-3983.gif Pour water into pail, add mortar until just right. Let it slake (sit), per directions then mix again.

For most 12x12 tiles you should be using a 1/4x3/8x1/4 notched trowel. Back butter with flat side of same. A 6" flex putty knife can work too. I do not always back butter, depends on the thin set's consistency, the tile's back and floor. You need at least 85% adhesive transfer for dry areas, as close to 100% coverage in wet installations. Remove a just laid tile now and then to check.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 06:54 AM   #3

thanks Jaz,

will try that
4just1don is online now   Reply With Quote