Best Quality Underpad To Use For Laminate?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2008, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best quality underpad to use for laminate??

We're installing 15mm laminate in our condo. Sound rating has to be 60. A friend of ours recently installed laminate and the installer recommended an underpad that my friend showed me. It's black and looks almost like rubber. They said there is less risk of mold, it's better etc.

I really like the laminate we picked. I asked the store about the rubber underpad and they showed me an underpad that specifically says on it that it is for carpets. I mentioned that and he told me it is fine for laminate and if I am looking for the rubber underpad, this is the one that would be used. They've given me the sample for the weekend and everything on the writeup talks about using it for carpets with no mention of laminate. They told me this will have the best soundproofing and it will be 75 cents/sq. foot.

I really have no knowledge in this area.

Could anyone advise what is the best underpad for laminate and if this one for carpets really would be okay for laminate? Thanks.

Advertisement

sillysimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

A rubber carpet pad for $0.75 is junk. I wouldn't trust using something like that for laminate anyway. Too much flex in my opinion. They do make rubberized laminate pads. The Silencer and The Muffler are two brands that come to mind. Really one of the best things you can do is put down a sheet plastic vapor barrier and then lay down a cork laminate pad. They are thicker and much more sound dampening, but also cost a lot more. They also are not treated with antimicrobials to prevent mold and mildew like most of the good rubberized pads are.

Advertisement

Old 04-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Be carefull about using any pad not supplied by the laminate product manufacturer. Doing so will void most manufacturers warranties.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 01:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

your flooring has either a foam backing or no backing.use 6mil plastic if you have a foam back. cork,foam,rubber if you have no back,your choice
gary cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 06:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

NO WAY! Whoever that person was who told you that is terribly wrong. Laminate needs 3 things in the underlayment: moisture barrier, coushin and sound absorption... Don't use carpet pad!! you will void the warranty on the laminate.
ttr13r is offline   Reply With Quote