Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:28 AM   #1

Share |

Best panel sizing of second layer subfloor

Is there a best way to size and install a second t&g sub-floor?

The room is 10' x 12', including closet and doorway. The 12' length runs parallel to the joists. The long edge of the new sub-floor will run perpendicular to the joists - the 10' dimension.

1) If I use 4' x 8' subflooring should I install them in 6' and 4' sections and stagger the joints?

2) Should I use use 4' x 10' plywood so there are no joints/seams?

I plan to add a second sub-floor over the existing plywood sub-floor the put in a hardwood floor.

Thanks,

Ed

edspyhill09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Tileguy

Hi Ed,

Why do you wanna use t&g as the second layer, which I call the underlayment. T&G in this case is not required and would be harder to work with.

1. I think 6' & 4' would be good. Or whatever works best so the new is offset a few ft. from the subfloor.

2. I'd stay away from 10' sheets. Too difficult to handle, plus you'd have no "play" and might damage the walls dropping them in place.

Why do you think you need a second layer of ply for hardwood? Do you wanna orient the planks the long way?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:19 AM   #3

I probably got the idea for the t&g solution from one of the many Internet how-tos I've read planning this project.

The original sub-floor is only 1/2" and there is a lot of give and squeaks everywhere. I will screw the existing sub-floor to the joists to add stiffness.

The main reason for a second sub-floor is the room will be used for exercise, fitness and Yoga practice. I also plan to add soundproofing to keep the noise transfer down. This room is above the kitchen.

Thank you,

Ed
Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
Tileguy

Quote:
The original sub-floor is only 1/2" and there is a lot of give and squeaks everywhere. I will screw the existing sub-floor to the joists to add stiffness.
The house must be pre-1970's. !/2" ply with 3/4" hardwood over it was the common way to do it. Be careful cuz you're gonna change the the floor to the first step measurement in case that applies.

How do you plan to reduce sound? Regular insulation isn't gonna do much.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 12:14 AM   #5

My typo. The existing sub-floor is 3/4", but it was badly installed. The floors on both levels creak and squeak loudly. I'm not planning on completely soundproofing the floor, just want to use something to cut down on noise transfer.

Thank you,

Ed