Best Hardwood Floor Covering - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Best Hardwood Floor Covering

Wife and I just had our wood floors refinished (red oak strip with custom color). The final coat will be applied today. We would like to start painting on Monday. We will wear booties but is there a another protective product, i.e. paper, plastic, etc. that we should place over the wood floors to protect against foot traffic for a few weeks? We have a contractor coming to put up trim on Wednesday of next week and want to make sure we do the best we can to protect the finish on the floors.

Thanks

Advertisement

jimmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:23 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

whatever you use cover it 100%. The poly will be dry but it cures over time. If you have one area covered and another exposed to uv light the covered area will show darker.

I would cover the whole area with rosin paper. tape the seems. If there is dust or grit on the paper take it up and make sure none got underneath to damage the floors you are trying to protect.

Advertisement

What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the suggestion. We would be applying the paper one day after the last coat of poly. Does that cause issues for example would the paper blead to the floor (red paper) and tint the floor.

Thanks
jimmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Rosin paper would be my suggestion also. I would ask the person who's finishing the floor to be sure you can use the paper that soon after the last application. Is there a reason why you didn't paint and THEN have the floors done??
Old 09-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybush View Post
thanks for the suggestion. We would be applying the paper one day after the last coat of poly. Does that cause issues for example would the paper blead to the floor (red paper) and tint the floor.

Thanks
Just my thought for sure but a 1 day dry time scares me. We always wait at least a week before we allow traffic of even limited amount on a poly coat.
I'd call the floor finisher an abide by his wish's. Better safe than sorry.

And as mentioned, cover the entire floor when you do put down the rosin paper.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #6

i would be ok with the 1 day as long as the floor was dry to walk on. However I would tape all the seems and roll it up and let the floor "breath" when there wont be any traffic.

make sure paper is clean and free of grit and re-install the next day when work will continue
What have I done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I recently had to do some work in a client's house in which the hardwoods had recently been refinished. To protect the floors, I first rolled out the a layer of foam padding used under some laminate/engineered floors. On top of that I laid 1/4' luan plywood, seams taped. At the end of the project, the floors were as prestine as when they were first refinished.
BTW, next time, finish the floors last.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

I have used 1/4" over new/existing floors where there will be heavy traffic (renovation mainly) for several days/weeks. I don't think painting would justify buying several sheets as opposed to a $9.00 roll of paper. There are some "hardboard" products that are less expensive that luan too. Of course if you put the "good side" down, you can us it for another project....
Old 09-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #9
Licensed Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
I have used 1/4" over new/existing floors where there will be heavy traffic (renovation mainly) for several days/weeks. I don't think painting would justify buying several sheets as opposed to a $9.00 roll of paper. There are some "hardboard" products that are less expensive that luan too. Of course if you put the "good side" down, you can us it for another project....

I figured luan would last a lot longer than rosin paper, given he wanted to leave it down for a few weeks.
Renovator,LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #10
Drywall contractor

LLC, you're probably correct with your advice. I missed the part about the trim guy coming in. There's a 1/4" "hard board" product that's probably cheaper than the luan (actually "slick" on one side). I'll think of the name about the time I post this. That would be the safest bet. If nothing else, use 2 layers of rosin paper (tape the joints) and run one layer across the other.......

Advertisement