Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-20-2012, 06:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 83

Best embossing leveler?

We're getting ready to install MetroFlor Solidity 30 vinyl/ceramic (a.k.a. luxury vinyl) tile over our kitchen's sheet-vinyl floor, which is only about 15 years old and is in good shape (glued down very well).

We are going to put an embossing leveler down on the old sheet vinyl before tiling. Although we've tiled before, haven't used an embossing leveler before.

We found Planipatch (and the additive that you're supposed to use with it) at our local Menard's, but you're supposed to put it on in two different coats, at different strengths,which sounds like a lot of work, and I've read that it is a pain to sand once you put it down (although a Planipatch rep at their 800 number said that you don't need to sand it, that a putty knife will take care of high spots).

Anyone have recommendations on the best, easiest to use embossing leveler?

Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Best embossing leveler?

I've never heard of anything like this before I'd like to know more. Why go through all that trouble for vinyl flooring? Is there an issue with putting tile?

jrgodwindesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 83

Best embossing leveler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrgodwindesigns View Post
I've never heard of anything like this before I'd like to know more. Why go through all that trouble for vinyl flooring? Is there an issue with putting tile?
The embossing leveler is used to smooth out the embossed pattern in the sheet vinyl, so the tiles have something smooth and level to stick to.

Since posting my original message, I've since read that a lot of people prefer Ardex/Henry's embossing leveler ... anyone know if this is a big step up from Planipatch mixed with Planipatch Plus, or if it's cheaper or easier to use?
Studly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

Best embossing leveler?

Many companies make a light weigh patch now like Ardex Feather Finish. With the Ardex, you prime the vinyl and then mix up the patch and lightly skim the floor with it sanding down any rough spots afterward. We've used a lot of Plani Patch. If you mix it the way they tell you to it will be far too thick for the way you intend to use it. And yes when mixed with the additive it does not sand well at all. The Ardex does not have an additive since it goes over a bonding primer and sands much easier.
oh'mike (11-22-2012)
Old 11-29-2012, 05:51 AM   #5
Doer of Many Things

Rewards Points: 512

Best embossing leveler?

An embossing leveler is just designed to flatten out the surface. If the vinyl is deeply patterened, that pattern may show through the new flooring if you don't fill it with something before installation. It can also give the new adhesive a better surface to bond to.