Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:32 PM   #1

Share |

Best DIY flooring for a room with many nooks

I am beyond frustrated trying to come up with the type of flooring that would be best for my situation. I have a kitchen/utility room that is around 8' x 15' but with all kinds of nooks and crannies, including a doorway, closet, furnace, kitchen cabinets etc. It seems like there are no easy spots where Im not going to have to be working around something.
Currently we have vinyl sheet down. I would like to get something to just lay over that. So that does narrow down my choices. After what I thought was lots of research, I purchased the vinyl Allure tiles, the ones that are 1' x 3'. But after measuring and trying to plan it out, I cant see how I am ever going to be able to make them work. Having to try and stagger seams and keeping the grout line pattern lined up and trying not to end up with any small pieces, just seems impossible when dealing with a room with so many nooks. When dealing with a dozen different ins and outs, how can one possibly plan for not getting stuck with too narrow or small of a piece here or there?
It would appear that much of this headache is due to having to deal with 1' x 3' foot pieces that need to be glued to each other. Dealing with individual 12" squares that glue to the floor would seem to be much easier. Main problem I have with them is that I am worried about them eventually seperating and showing seams, which is a complaint I often see. As well as we prefer a grouted line look, and we cant find individual squares in a color that we like that are bordered with the grouted look.
So other choice is I guess using the vinyl sheets. Originally was steering away from these thinking that making the cut out would be really tough with all the nooks. Are having seams that big of a deal especially if they are kinda hidden? Weeks of planning and I feel like Im back at square one. Any help appreciated.

thebestman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 04:54 PM   #2

Best DIY flooring for a room with many nooks

Quote:
how can one possibly plan for not getting stuck with too narrow or small of a piece here or there?
Futile. I am sure it will still look great.

Quote:
Originally was steering away from these thinking that making the cut out would be really tough with all the nooks.
It's not so bad with a template.

Quote:
Are having seams that big of a deal especially if they are kinda hidden?
Take a look at your shirt. Seams are OK there right?

Quote:
Weeks of planning and I feel like Im back at square one.
Your overthinking just a bit. I do the same thing.
Go with what you think looks best, then ask for details on making the job easier.
that's what we are for!

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote