Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #1

Share |

Best choice for budget Bath floor.

Hello All,

Newbie so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area.
I am trying to help my elderly parents with their bath floor. He is 85 and she is in a heavy motorized wheelchair. They are like so many of their age bracket when it comes to financial status- they don't have one!
Anyway they curently have a linoleum floor install where someone did a horrible job with the install. Didn't remove toilet or baseboards etc. This is not only a bath floor replacement but, one in south Louisiana so, moisture is always an issue. I am considering some of this sheet Vinyl flooring by armstrong. It looks like Linoleum that I grew up with but, its thicker and I'm told has a fiberglass content. I'm also considering the Allure trafficmaster planks. I think the fiber sheet vinyl would require me putting Luan or 1/4'' ply down as the old linoleum is kind of embossed pattern. A plus to this floor is it can be floated and tacked around the perimeter with sticky tape. I'm a little leary of the planks because of the weight of her wheelchair. I'm afraid when she turns around on that thing it may cause planks to separate. Anyway any other suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I am a weekend warrior not an accomplished contractor so, please bear this in mind when speaking to my skill level. Thanks to whomever replies for your time and expertise.
Guitar47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:43 PM   #2

U can use a self leveling cement to level out the floor as well. As for the sheet vinyl, they say u can just tack it down but ud be better off gluing the whole thing down if you expect heavy use.
Runestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runestone View Post
U can use a self leveling cement to level out the floor as well. As for the sheet vinyl, they say u can just tack it down but ud be better off gluing the whole thing down if you expect heavy use.

Thanks Runestone. I appreciate the info. I'm still deliberating about the quality of the sheet vinyl vs. Allure Planks.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Those allure planks are the ones with the sticky strips that overlap eachother? If so that what im doing in my kitchen. Theyre fairly cheap and easy to put together and im just fixing up my house to sell.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runestone View Post
Those allure planks are the ones with the sticky strips that overlap eachother? If so that what im doing in my kitchen. Theyre fairly cheap and easy to put together and im just fixing up my house to sell.
Yes. Thats the same stuff. I'm not that familiar with laying it down but, it seems to fit the bill for my situation. Unless, there are negatives that I am unaware of...
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #6

I just heard the corners will lift up eventually. thats no big deal for a quicker, cheaper, updated look.