DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

berber carpet ruined by steam clean or we just didn't notice odour? Has moldy odour.

11K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  bbo 
#1 · (Edited)
We decided to try steam cleaning instead of shampooing for our berber carpets downstairs in our raised ranch.
We paid for the service and it took 2 guys about 4 hours to do the 3 bedrooms upstairs (medium pile) and the berber in the family and office rooms downstairs.

We were quite pleased with the results for the price we paid ($150 CAD).

The office room was still rather damp when they were packing up so they suggested leaving a couple of fans on the carpet to dry it up.

The office room had two plastic chair mats, maybe total 3ft x 8ft so I could go from one computer desk to another easily.

I noticed when I lifted the plastic there was a moldy smell and was hoping the steam clean and disinfect would get rid of it.

It's been one week now and I've had industrial size fans blowing all night, used fabreeze and disinfectant but still notice an odour from where the plastic chair mats were.

There is 12mm of foam cushion under the berber so I suspect that over the past couple of years (last time that carpet was cleaned) the sponge remained damp but we never noticed.

Any ideas on how to get rid of the odour or should we tear it out and start fresh?

We're converting the room to a bedroom so if we should tear it out, now would be the time.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have seen mold on carpet that was probably caused by it getting too wet during cleaning. I have seen some so hot and wet that it shrunk more than 3 inches. So, yes it's possible that it caused your problems.

Reactions: dynamo
#3 ·
good detergents are by nature antimold BUT that doesn't mean the water shot in when steam extracting doesn't create a potential problem. i personally have cleaned many thick padded carpets and the one step that you can't overlook is dry strokes. that means running the wand over the area after you've shot it without pulling the trigger again. you really have to suck up as much water as possible. microban MIGHT save you in this situation. one gallon of industrial microban in a pump sprayer shot all over your carpets then crank the heat for a day-two, keep the fans going and dry it as much as possible

the reason a lot of places don't dry stroke the carpet is labor, it's kind of like doing the job twice since you go over the same area again. for what you mention we would have charged 30-35 cents a square foot. there's just no way it's profitable to do it the right way cheap.

#7 ·
I'm thinking the central AC would be enough to wick the moisture out of the air that the fan draws up from the carpet, foam sponge underneath.

The carpet must not be covered let alone with plastic sheets or panels, until it is dry.

The room needs to have outside ventilation or dehumidifiers; fans in a closed room overnight won't work.

"Steam cleaning" is primarily hot water with just a little steam. It's true name is "hot water extraction" where the water dissolves or suspends the impurities and most is suctioned away.

Cranking the heat was invented because the same air inside the room when warmed up will carry away more moisture.
The fans are on with all the other doors open, ceiling fans and bathroom fans on as well, so there's plenty of circulation.
The plastic mats are not going to be used again on carpet in our house, until maybe AFTER the carpet/foam become completely dry.
They are in the garage and will stay there, plus they get a dirty look from me when I see them in the garage, LOL!
I'll probably layout the new office area in such a way that I can reach everthing without having to scoot across plastic mats.

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

#6 · (Edited)
The carpet must not be covered let alone with plastic sheets or panels, until it is dry.

The room needs to have outside ventilation or dehumidifiers; fans in a closed room overnight won't work.

"Steam cleaning" is primarily hot water with just a little steam. It's true name is "hot water extraction" where the water dissolves or suspends the impurities and most is suctioned away.

Cranking the heat was invented because the same air inside the room when warmed up will carry away more moisture.

#8 ·
But the truth is, many carpet cleaners don't have a clue what they are doing. I have seen these companies hire college or high school students, give them a couple hours of instruction and send them on jobs. I have seen many carpets saturated by cleaners. And extraction means most of the water should be extracted. But they don't want to spend the time to do it right, because "time is money". Every time a carpet is soaked, you shorten it's life. Carpets are made with latex adhesive, a water soluable adhesive. A few soakings and it breaks down and the carpet starts to delaminate.

#9 ·
I would still get a dehumidifier. We also have central air and you would be amazed at how fast a demumidifier will fill after carpet cleaning. If you relay on your central air to pull the water out, it will take much longer.

It does sound like there was not enough water extracted when the carpets were cleaned. When we moved in, we cleaned our own and I made a minimum of 3 passes over a cleaned area. one should really pull using only vacuum until no apparent water is being pulled out.

If you don't have one or one you can borrow, you could probably reny one locally.

#12 ·
depends, in the middle of summer a strong fan will circulate the air and do a great job. the whole idea is to remove moisture from the room. that means ventilate or dehumidify. the only time i'll use dehumidifiers in the summer is if it's in an office complex that isn't able to get enough airflow for fans to be effective

in the winter, it's a no brainer than a dehumidifier is the way to go.

they work well in the summer too, just usually not needed when it's 80-90 out.

#13 · (Edited)
We have rented and borrowed friends' shampooers before.
I would have done it myself this time too, but working gets in the way.

I know what you all mean about making several dry passes.

I remember spending 3-4 hours one night then 2-3 the next morning on one bedroom alone.

We had been renting a room to a coworker for a couple years.
I must have drawn 6 pails of dirty water out of the carpet, then went over it dry until I could get no more water out.

Those little shampooers are quite the vacuum cleaners!

I'm going to try dehumidifier, fan and microban.
If all else fails, the carpet and cushion are coming out.

:(

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Next time, the cleaners don't leave until it's dried to our satisfaction!
(I guess we won't be getting the same ones back over and over again LOL!).

#15 ·
update:

I plugged in a room dehumidifier along with 2 fans and the central air (always on this summer anyway LOL) yesterday morning.

I was happy when I checked this morning and there's probably 2 litres of water in the tank!

That's the level it was at last night so I'm guessing most if not all of the water is gone.

I'll leave everything except the central air on, spray a little fabreeze (until I can find this "microban" stuff) and check for the odour this afternoon when I get back from work.

Wife can make the call tonight or tomorrow whether any odour is bearable, if I should shampoo it myself or if we should start fresh.

Many thanks for all the ideas especially the dehumidifier part!!!

#16 ·
Final update:

Hurray, seems the dehumidifier was the key, in this case, along with some lysol and other fungus/mold killing regular off the shelf stuff.
I couldn't find any "microban" but didn't search all that hard.
I had more faith when I saw all the water the dehumid sucked up.
Once again thanks to all for the great ideas and hopefully I can help you out one day or maybe this thread will save someone else from tearing out a carpet when they don't have to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.