Below Grade Vinyl - Hd Allure? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2011, 11:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Below grade vinyl - hd allure?

There's a 20+ page thread elsewhere on this subject -TMI - so i thought i'd try a reset.

serious water downstairs in our bi-level a few weeks ago - tore up about 500 sq ft of berber, padding and vinyl tiles...$165 just to get it hauled away...been obsessing on the net since then on how to fix/replace...don't wanna go with carpet again..we have intermittent water problems, mostly due to poor vigilance re: freezing gutters, clogged gutters...minor stuff but noticeable.

I've got a big ol' concrete floor that looks black due to the adhesive from the tiles that were there - floor seems to be in good shape to the eye - no cracks. apparently as level as you could expect...not smooth to the touch, but not particularly bumpy either...
so here's my plan:

(note - guy at lum liq says in order to ever get anything to stick to the old adhesive left on the floor, i'll have to cover/seal it with something any new adhesive will stick to - this is common knowledge according to my endless inquiries - unfortunately, it's ridiculously expensive...$50 a gallon...a bit less for cement type product but with my limited expertise if i try to skim-coat something it'll probably turn out worse than the flood.

1. clean floor up - get rid of pieces of padding still stuck to it, staples, etc
2. give the floor a real good cleaning with an anti-mold agent - something more heavy-duty than a clorox solution ; or maybe the clorox - depends on what's out there.
3. put a coat of KILZ or dep or whatever to seal things up bit, make it neat and tidy, etc.
4. install allure resilient vinyl plank flooring from home depot. this is a "floating" product that just sticks to itself on the edges...from what i've read it goes down pretty easy once you figure it out and looks good to boot. When i described what my deal is, the nice, knowledgeable guy at HD (not a kid) said this stuff could go right over everything, making sure the surface was suitably flat

my concerns are this: some people have had an odor problem, but i've got plenty of windows down there so not that big a concern; edges not sticking/curling up - but i figure with the proper ENCOURAGEMENT my crew (wife and daughter) will not ever let that happen, and if it does it'll be their fault and their job to fix it;a few people have said that when they had to take it off for one reason or another, there was mold on the concrete apparently since the vinyl won't let the concrete - let's say aspirate - properly. i've been thinking of a 4-6 mil vapor barrier prior to the allure. i will say we've had at least two busted pipes over the years with plenty of h2o to go around, but the carpet seemed to be in pretty good shape after 15+ years...it was just too wet in too much space to lift and dry this time..

I would truly and sincerely welcome you're thoughts and feelings regarding this matter...i gotta do something quick...its a mess down there!!!!!

THANX

Advertisement

duke m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Below Grader

Rewards Points: 75

If you are going for a floating floor solution, pick basement flooring options that are specifically designed for that purpose.

The difference is that, unlike the hardware store product you mentioned, these basement tiles and laminates have dimples, pegs or channels on the back, that raise the flat, finished surface above the slab.

That allows the air to circulate underneath and dry any moisture seeping through the slab, preventing the kind of mold problem you mentioned.

That air pocket also creates a thermal break. The tile surface will be always around 10 degrees warmer than the slab.

These products are 100% waterproof. come in several finishes, including faux wood and carpet, and are built to withstand a typical basement flood.

And just a note: It is a good idea to maintain your gutters in good conditions, extend the downspouts and have a good drainage system with a working sump pump in place. Your basement floors might be waterproof and mold resistant, but the items that will most likely furnish or be stored in your basement aren't.

Advertisement

CyFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 11:05 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,318

If you read the long thread on konecto/allure, you know that most failures have occurred on concrete floors.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #4

I have looked in to the products of the type you mention...not too confident that my floor is totally level enough and if it's not i am surely the guy not to fix it...plus the $$$$ is significant considering my current state of unemployment.
you're certainly right re: gutters - they have become quite the hobby around here - we've got gutter guards and plenty of drain pipe but i swear...it's like you push something down and it pops up somewhere else...going out right now to get the pine needles off before it rains...how great!...standing on a ladder while i think about all the time i've got coming up kneeling on that concrete..
thanx
Old 06-14-2011, 01:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
If you read the long thread on konecto/allure, you know that most failures have occurred on concrete floors.
I am acutely aware of the failures on concrete mentioned so frequently...but...sometime ya gotta go with whatcha got...i feel pretty comfortable with this allure stuff...the family room is a heated space in the house, and doesn't really get much use - it's down to just two of us here...watch tv or a movie now and then...probably my biggest problem is having to much time to read all this info and i guess at the end of the day just try and make a decision - "take what you need and leave the rest" arrgghh!!!
we shall see what we shall see.
thanx for your reply.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

this is a "floating" product that just sticks to itself on the edges...

for your apparent needs and limited $$$ you want to invest in your basement at this I think your on a good track.
I wouldn't put down a vapour barrier (probably attract more moisture from the concrete than any help itll give you)
make sure the sealer you use is the right stuff to encapsulate the 'black-out' or emulsion adhesive left on the concrete.
don't forget to shop around for similar flooring products that "sticks to itself on the edges" .... some are really quite good!

*** DON'T SCRAPE UP THE CONCRETE WITHOUT WEARING KNEEPADS! safety first my friend!
HarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryJ View Post
this is a "floating" product that just sticks to itself on the edges...

for your apparent needs and limited $$$ you want to invest in your basement at this I think your on a good track.
I wouldn't put down a vapour barrier (probably attract more moisture from the concrete than any help itll give you)
make sure the sealer you use is the right stuff to encapsulate the 'black-out' or emulsion adhesive left on the concrete.
don't forget to shop around for similar flooring products that "sticks to itself on the edges" .... some are really quite good!

*** DON'T SCRAPE UP THE CONCRETE WITHOUT WEARING KNEEPADS! safety first my friend!
Thanx - you're right in that a plastic moisture barrier is probably overkill for this...so that's taken care of.

You mention that there are other products that float and just stick to the edges - really? - can you provide the names of them? I'd appreciate any info.

Thanx again for replying
Old 06-15-2011, 11:55 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

Armstrong has their 'Luxe Plank' (good,better, best) series. Thats the only one I know off hand with a good warranty but i'm sure there are more.

Advertisement

HarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basement.flooring , concrete floor , home depot allure , sealent