Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
PTO

Share |

Below Grade vapour barrier on concrete below engineered hardwood....

what does everyone recommend as the best product???
Thanks in advance
Mark : )

PTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #2

I'm going to get 6 mil poly sheeting and tape the seems with moisture resistant tape. I've even been toying with using real hardwood in the basement, but I know that's a bad idea. What will you be using, foam underlayment?

mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
PTO

The flooring store where I bought it recommended a "closed cell" 3 mil product branded "whisper walk". I researched out and it seems that something thicker would be better. There is a product called TuTuff but it seems as though the only flooring application is in crawl spaces. It seems almost too good to be true when you read the website.
I would probably steer away from hardwood as I hear any moisture can cause the ends to curl. This is especially true for the wider planks from what I hear.
Its funny bc they do not recommend normal hardwood below grade but you can use a non engineered bamboo below grade. I think its because the bamboo is essentially manufactured from the grass through a special process. Looking for a good product that works especially well. Hopefully I can find something soon..........
let me know thoughts.........
Thanks for the reply
Mark
PTO is offline   Reply With Quote