Below Grade Basement Tile: Insulation? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 76

Below grade basement tile: insulation?

So I was considering an electric radiant floor setup for our basement (in mass).

But I think cost is a bit high for a room only used on weekends...

We've had temperatures consistently below 20*F the past few days, and honestly the slab isn't all that cold (a cheap point and shoot thermometer is reading 56* on the bare slab, with the rest of the house at about 62). It's chilly, but not unbearable if you're wearing socks.

I want to preserve some ceiling height, so I'd like to keep my flooring and substrate below 1".

I was originally considering ditra or super seal direct to the slab, and then ceramic tile.

But now I'm wondering if maybe using 1/2" xps and cement board would be a good Idea, instead of ditra?

Delta FL or DMX one step would be great, but vinyl flooring doesn't have the same appeal as ceramic.

Advertisement

gizzygone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,464

What not do it right and just put the ceramic directly on the slab with thinset?

Advertisement

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
What not do it right and just put the ceramic directly on the slab with thinset?
Is that truly the right way?

I know the appeal of the ditra is the "uncoupling" to prevent cracking with any slab movement. Also, I liked the fact that it acts as a vapor barrier to help keep moisture down.

The foam, I figured, provided an R-value while still giving you an "uncoupling" from the slab.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:43 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,384

Which tile installation method allows xps and concrete backer on a slab?

Go with Ditra for the reasons you stated, or direct if the floor is in good shape and small.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Which tile installation method allows xps and concrete backer on a slab?

Go with Ditra for the reasons you stated, or direct if the floor is in good shape and small.

Jaz
It was my own thoughts. Wasn't sure if it would work to add a touch of r value to keep the floors a bit warmer.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:06 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizzygone
It was my own thoughts. Wasn't sure if it would work to add a touch of r value to keep the floors a bit warmer.
OK, now you know what to do. Want a warmer floor? Spend the $$$ for the electric in-floor-heat with timer thermostat, or slippers.

The rest of the house is 62 f. ? Yikes you like it cold huh?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
OK, now you know what to do. Want a warmer floor? Spend the $$$ for the electric in-floor-heat with timer thermostat, or slippers.

The rest of the house is 62 f. ? Yikes you like it cold huh?

Jaz
Well, I started another thread about the electric heat, only to find out installing the element directly to the slab would result in me heating more slab than tile...

Haha, 62 is the daytime temp for the dogs. We pump it up to a toasty 68 when we're home... I was just stopping back in for lunch when I did my temps
Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,922

Tile in basement looks cold feels cold. Carpet in basement looks warm feels warm.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorsitizen
Carpet in basement looks warm feels warm.
Yes, and it's not sanitary for a bathroom.

It's also not a good idea for basements that are humid or tend to have seepage now and then. But it's definitely warmer.

Jaz

Advertisement