Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #1

Share |

Beginner decide Laminate vs vinyl squares in 10x28 backyard cabin?

I bought a cabin for my backyard and had my electrician run 120/240 vac underground to it from my nearby basement panel box. He also has insulated it and added sheetrock and mudded it out. Now he will primer the walls and add a drop ceiling and then run vinyl skirting around the base. He said he does not want to paint it nor add flooring so it will be up to me for that. This cabin is a pretreated wood cabin on cinderblocks it has a woodsy look with an 8 x 12' front porch also. He has mudded the seams and other places on the sheetrock and it is very dusty and collecting on the wall mounted heater/cooling unit, floor and front porch.

Now that you have a picture of what I have to work with, I am an electrical engineer but not that handy with mechanical tools. I need to paint the walls so that does not bother me as much as deciding on the flooring. My wife wants to go with vinyl squares because it is easy and cheap. I like the idea of hardwood floors but will be satisfied with laminate flooring because of its durability from what I hear. The women at the flooring store said I would need 3 rolls of something to laydown over the plywood floors before I use the laminate. Is the laminate easy to put together. I don't want to have to paint or stain them afterwoods. Just make it snap and go if that is how it works.

Is it really that simple or should I go after the simpler vinyl squares?

I want something to keep good value if I resell and I think vinyl would be too cheap. Am I right about this?

Thanks.

tdg8934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:41 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

Laminate will neither increase nor decrease the value. A good Solid Vinyl Tile won't effect value too much either. A cheap vinyl tile probably won't look too good a few years down the road and can devalue the property. In your case I'd say go with laminate. All you do is roll down the pad. Make sure you get one that's pre-taped so you can just peel the edges back and stick them together. Then start clicking together rows of laminate. Make sure to stagger the joints. Be careful near the walls. You need to leave an expansion joint to be covered by a trim piece. The main difficulty with laminate is getting it under the door jams, which you'll need to undercut. The wide open area should be a snap.

poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #3

Thanks for the advise. Since it doesn't matter about the property value with laminate or good vinyl, would it make more sense to go with harwood floors then to increase the property value - or am I wasting my money with triple the cost. This is something I would probably not be able to do myself and would need to hire out. Is there anything else I could do? It does not have a bathroom as that would really exceed my budget and take up too much space too. Other ideas?
tdg8934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:51 AM   #4
Doer of Many Things

There is another option for you. Some companies make locking hardwood. Shaw for example has a piece called Vicksburg that is real hardwood on top with a rustic handscraped finish. It locks together like laminate though so it's nearly as easy to install. Plus it will look good in a cabin. There are other similar product cheaper if you rustic look isn't what you need. You can also get cabin grade hardwood that has more rustic mineral streaking in it for much less than better grades of hardwood, but yes you'd likely need someone to install that.
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote