Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Before I get Started....

I am in the process prepping to lay porcelain tile in the kitchen.

The sub floor is is the correct thickness with vinyl tile on top and then a layer of white stuff (papery feeling) that was underneath another laminet floor (i think).

The floor seems very flat and is exactly as high as the hardwood floors in adjacent rooms. Now, i would like to minimize the amount of gain to the floor as much as possible and was recommended a product at lowes called durock tile membrane. Its super thin and applied with a glue included. I have looked and found nothing on the product as far as reviews and wanted to get some expert opinions of what people thought.

Do you guys think I should install a 1/4" backerboard to give more support, or use this product (which i would prefer if possible).

Thanks for any advice.

Kevin

KDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Tileguy

Before I get Started....

Hi Kevin,

Please explain this:
Quote:
The sub floor is is the correct thickness with vinyl tile on top and then a layer of white stuff (papery feeling) that was underneath another laminet floor (i think).
Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #3

Before I get Started....

After the floor that was installed over the vinyl tiles was pulled up, it left a white layer that can be scraped off but not easily. Its a very thin layer and it feels dry and smooth...

I also had to cut out some of the floor out to re-route the gas line for the oven and when i rebuild that part of the floor it will just be plywood.

hope thats enough detail, i could possibly attach a picture if needed.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #4
Tileguy

Before I get Started....

Pics are always very helpful.

So, you're saying you've got this whitish stuff, under it is vinyl tile and then your subfloor system.

Quote:
The sub floor is is the correct thickness
Which is? I'm gonna bet you've got a subfloor and then a 1/4" ply or (?) under those vinyl tiles. If so, that layer of 1/4" underlayment should also be removed. Let us know about that and what type and thickness the subfloor is. Also describe the framing under there.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

Before I get Started....

Thanks for the quick response. Well, the floor joist span is 16", followed by 5/8" diagonal planks which are then followed by 3/4" ply, which is then followed by the vinyl tile.
I am leary about messing with the tiles because they are the 9 by 9" tiles from < 1980's so pretty sure they contain asbestos.
I was thinking taking it down further but just not to sure how safe that would be.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #6

Before I get Started....

Anyone have any opinions on durock tile membrane?? I'm starting this project tomorrow.. Thanks
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
Aged Sleeper

Before I get Started....

1/4" on the floor ummm.. not the best. I would jump it by a little bit.. thicker the better.. But it would work in the short term.
I can't say that the tile would be safe to take up ... but ... I if it was my place.. I would take it up. Just make sure that you do not sand off the tile that remains after the take-up.. that is where the potential dangerous fibers become airborne, other than that you would find that the fibers are not airborne and if it is not airborne it is not in the air.
So that would give you more room for tile..

Bken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
durock, flooring, membrane, subfloor, tile